Latest OS X

Discussion in 'Apple' started by David Downing, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. David Downing

    ErikRS Guest

    Sure your MacPro1.1 will run Lion 10.7.5. - I do this on my own
    MacPro1.1 sep.2007.

    The first 'MacPro' - the latest PowerPC G5 2,0ghz, 2,5ghz & 2,7ghz will
    not run systems newer than 10.5.8.

    The MacPros 1.1 & 2.1 (2006-2007) runs up to and including Lion 10.7.5.
    The MacPro 3.1, 4.1 & 5.1 will run anything available from 10.6.x to
    10.9.x. Though minimum requirements for these models vary from 10.5.8 to
    10.6.4.

    Cheers, ERik Richard

    Erik Richard S¿rensen, Member of ADC, <>
    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
    Openoffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

    ErikRS, Jan 16, 2014

  2. David Downing

    Lewis Guest

    Yes it is.
    Stealing free software seems rather stupid (and stupidly risky) to me,
    but whatever.

    Lewis, Jan 16, 2014

  3. David Downing

    Lewis Guest

    Yes. Open up the App Store and click on it. If your machine cannot run
    it, it will tell you and won't download.

    Lewis, Jan 16, 2014
  4. Not legally.
    You can get an account for free.
    That says a lot about you.
    How about "Malware"?

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 16, 2014
  5. David Downing

    Guest Guest

    yes it is.
    it takes less than a minute to get an account, and no credit card is
    needed.
    apparently you have no claims about violating the law.

    besides, who the hell pirates free software?
    then search for copyright infringement and ethics.
    as it should be.

    Guest, Jan 16, 2014
  6. David Downing

    Ted Lee Guest

    I haven't read the rest of this thread, so somebody else might already
    have made this point, but SheepShaver will let you run OS 9.0.4 (or
    earlier, for some versions of earlier) and any software that will run on
    them -- provided you have suitable disk images of them. (Something that
    was only on a floppy would probably be tricky to load!)

    Ted Lee, Jan 16, 2014
  7. David Downing

    Your Name Guest

    Ignoring the legalities, the problem with getting it through unofficial
    sources is there a possibility of some moron having mucked about with
    the installer and you're Mac ending up either unstable or with malware
    on it.

    Your Name, Jan 16, 2014
  8. David Downing

    Patty Winter Guest

    Yep, which is why I bought an iMac just before Apple started
    shipping them with 10.7.

    Patty

    Patty Winter, Jan 16, 2014
  9. I never could get Sheepshaver to run games without serious sound and
    graphic errors. But it did work passably well for apps like WordPerfect for
    Mac.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 16, 2014
  10. I think that's a reasonable thing to assume.

    Used G5's seem to have (relatively) held their value, while G4's have become
    give away (please take them so I don't have to drag them to the recycle place)
    items.

    There are a few G4's with some value, such as the mini (which by now needs
    an almost impossible to find memory upgrade) and a new PRAM battery,
    and the last generation of laptop, if you can find one without a bad
    memory socket. They don't go for much. :)

    Tiger is a good operating system for them, the last one that runs Classic mode.

    Geoff.

    Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jan 16, 2014
  11. David Downing

    Tom Joad Guest

    This is what I call stable:

    Presently the uptime of my 10.9.1 system is 30 days, 2 hours and 27
    minutes. Since the latest update that required rebooting that is.

    --
    Tom Joad

    "It don't take no nerve to do somepin when there ain't nothin' else you can do"
    John Steinbeck, The grapes of wrath

    Tom Joad, Jan 16, 2014
  12. David Downing

    David Empson Guest

    Good point, thanks.

    David Empson, Jan 16, 2014
  13. David Downing

    John Guest

    It is the latest version ever to run on my wife's Macbook if that
    helps you any.
    Which it probably doesn't.
    Now, now, play nice. He's not a troll until people start squabbling
    over what he says. Trolls start flamewars. This one is merely a lamer.
    Or maybe a noob. Yes, he *could* be a genuine noob.
    Or from Mars. Or have lived in a deep cave for three years or more.
    Or not have Internet access. Though that last is a little problematic
    considering his communication.
    J.

    John, Jan 24, 2014
  14. David Downing

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Mavericks is free because its a downgrade.

    --
    Creationists - get educated before you argue,
    And when you're corrected, try to learn something.

    Creationists only need know that
    Evolution is important proven science
    and
    creation is made up nonsense

    Barry OGrady, Apr 19, 2014
  15. David Downing

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Mavericks is a free downgrade.

    Barry OGrady, Apr 19, 2014
  16. David Downing

    Lewis Guest

    You are a troll and I claim my £5

    Lewis, Apr 19, 2014
  17. David Downing

    ErikRS Guest

    Then please tell me how it can be that so many do downgrade again to 10.8.x?

    cheers, Erik Richard

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <>

    ErikRS, Apr 19, 2014
  18. David Downing

    Alan Browne Guest

    There may be good reason to do so - Mavericks is borderline "too much"
    for my SO's MBA (2 GB - some of which is shared with the graphics) so I
    may soon push her back to 10.8.

    But 10.9 is fine on my iMac and my son's MBP which have more memory.

    The troll's assertion that it's free because it's bad is just plain
    wrong - but that doesn't prevent trolling - nothing does.

    It's free because Apple have decided that OS updates for the hardware it
    sells should be included in the price people pay for Macs (and iPhones
    and iPads ...) as well as some s/w such as Pages, Numbers and Keynote.

    Alan Browne, Apr 19, 2014
  19. David Downing

    Tim Streater Guest

    Are there any other reasons to go back? I could wish that the Dock was
    not translucent, but that's about all. OTOH it gave me more recent
    versions of PHP and SQLite, which I view as a plus.

    Tim Streater, Apr 19, 2014
  20. David Downing

    Your Name Guest

    The next version of Mac OS X will likely be much worse now that Johnny
    Ive has been allowed to get his sticky mitts all over it. :-(

    Your Name, Apr 19, 2014