    I still do not understand why Aple is so orgasmic about translucency. It
    is the worse UI practice I have seen. It is not only useless, but also
    reduces usablility/readability.

    JF Mezei, Apr 19, 2014

  2. David Downing

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Apr 19, 2014

  3. David Downing

    billy Guest

    I wonder what (hardware & software) Mr Ive uses to design all this stuff?

    Billy Y..

    billy, Apr 20, 2014
  4. David Downing

    Davoud Guest

    ErikRS:
    Because they have a streak of Luddite in them and a fear of new things?

    Davoud, Apr 20, 2014
  5. David Downing

    ErikRS Guest

    I don't think so... Many of them are professionals with newest or nearly
    newest hardware - iMacs, MBPs, MBs and MacPros... Either they simply
    made a total re-installation with ML, or they shrinked the Mavericks
    partiotion to a minimum and then install ML on the new partition...

    One of my friends - a system supporter with his own business - is so
    tired of Mavericks and all it's problems that he simply recommends
    people to do the above. Last time we talked about it he said that
    downgrading to ML reduced his stress level when he's out on work.:)

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <>
    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
    Openoffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

    ErikRS, Apr 20, 2014
  6. David Downing

    Tim Streater Guest

    What problems are we talking about?

    Tim Streater, Apr 20, 2014
  7. David Downing

    ErikRS Guest

    General unstability, very long startup time or hangs in startup, some
    apps - like Safari and iTunes hang or quit unexpectedly. Very slow MSO
    2011. Very slow Photoshop CS4/5/6. Slow Illustrator. Loss of wifi
    connectivity to a.m.o Airport and NetGear wifi routers. Very slow
    wake-up from sleep. Problems with synching from some iPhone models
    etc.etc.. - But it isn't all problems at the same time on the same
    machine - they occour randomly.

    Some problems look to me much similar to the problems that were with the
    very old System 7.5.0, OS 8.0 and later on also 10.3.3 and 10.3.5 Server...

    ErikRS, Apr 20, 2014
  8. David Downing

    Alan Browne Guest

    - very stable here on 3 machines.
    - no issues with startup. I did have one restart that seemed to take
    long to shut down, but otherwise no issues.
    - no issues wish Safari or iTunes
    - MSO is fine - that is to say it is the same clunky crap it's always
    been (2008 v. here).
    - Bridge + PS (CS5) seem fine to me. I did a batch conversion of about
    500 raws the other day to proof JPG's for distribution. Nice and quick
    - used the cores richly.
    -no issues with WiFi (3 Macs)
    - Wake up from sleep is near instant (on 3 Macs)
    - No issues syncing iPhone 4 or 4S.
    - not at all here.

    Mavericks is a little too much for my SO's MBA and I will probably move
    it back to 10.8 in the by and by.

    If your friend is listing individual issues from many machines and
    aggregating them into the complaint you posted then he is doing many
    people a disservice. Each of those machines needs its particular issues
    fixed - not a broadbrush against Mavericks.

    Alan Browne, Apr 20, 2014
  9. David Downing

    android Guest

    You didn't clone it before the upgrade? Sloppy... ;-P

    android, Apr 20, 2014
  10. David Downing

    Alan Browne Guest

    Her "footprint" on that system is quite tiny, so just installing the OS
    will be sufficient. Though I may have to remove some apps such as
    Pages/Numbers/Keynote that were post Mavericks. TBD.

    Alan Browne, Apr 20, 2014
  11. David Downing

    billy Guest

    I've had it hang coming up once. Cold boots do take quite a while,
    but I can see things getting done (I use the verbose boot mode).

    Rendering icons is painfully slow. It's hard to believe Apple
    released it - they must have noticed it.

    Other than that, it's been ok. Wifi is pretty good, wakeup from
    sleep is very fast. I'm not using any Adobe or MS stuff, but I'm
    not suprised to hear they run slowly.
    I'm still a very happy user of 10.3.9. I just can't run newer
    programs on it.

    Billy Y..

    billy, Apr 20, 2014
  12. David Downing

    Alan Browne Guest

    They run fine.

    Alan Browne, Apr 20, 2014
  13. David Downing

    Davoud Guest

    ErikRS:
    Tim Streater:
    Wow, that was quite a list. My wife and I are professionals, too, with
    MS Office, Adobe CC, Final Cut ProX, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom,
    research-grade astronomy software, etc., and we like the stability of
    Mavericks, the speed, and the general feel. That's on three MacBook
    Pro's and two 27-in. iMacs. Maybe it's something in the air where you
    live. Everybody we know who runs Mavericks, pros and web surfers alike,
    loves it.

    Davoud, Apr 20, 2014
  14. David Downing

    ErikRS Guest

    Well, - I can only tell what he tells me. - His working area all all
    over Denmark except the insel Bornholm in the Baltic Sea.:) - And the
    wifi problems could be because of poor coverage in some places in
    Denmark - especially here in Jutland...

    On his own MBP he has both 10.6.x, 10.7.x, 10.8.x and 10.9.x - bootable
    in 10.7.x only and the three others virtually so he can switch between
    them very fast...

    Sometimes he calls me for sparring to hear my opinion, and my first
    question is always "How much memory does the machine have?" - and he
    always replies that this is also his first question to the customer...

    Many of the times it turns out that the machine has as little as 2gb or
    3gb. And I always advice him to advice his customers to upgrade to 4gb
    as the absolute minimum - best to 8gb if possible - else to 4gb or 6gb
    on MBs/MBPs and 8gb or more on iMacs and MacPros. This has always
    increased both performance and stability - but not always on speed of
    the applications...

    I've run MSOffice 2011 myself on my MacPro 4x2,66ghz, 16gb RAM, and MSO
    is as slow as an overfatted snail.:-( - So I downgraded to MSO2008 again
    which is much faster than 2011...

    ErikRS, Apr 20, 2014
  15. David Downing

    Tim Streater Guest

    Tim Streater:
    Wow, that was quite a list. My wife and I are professionals, too, with
    MS Office, Adobe CC, Final Cut ProX, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom,
    research-grade astronomy software, etc., and we like the stability of
    Mavericks, the speed, and the general feel. That's on three MacBook
    Pro's and two 27-in. iMacs. Maybe it's something in the air where you
    live. Everybody we know who runs Mavericks, pros and web surfers alike,
    loves it.[/QUOTE]

    Well, the only odd thing happening with Mavericks is where, with some
    sites, Safari doesn't succeed in completing the loading of a webpage.
    Some css and image files just don't arrive. Symptoms talk of timeouts.
    The BBC News site is a case in point. But I can click a link within the
    BBC News home page that takes me to another BBC page, and then one
    there to take me back to the BBC News page, no problems at all.

    I can't tell if that's Mavericks, Safari, my SSD, or the unusual way
    I'm using Safari (see http://www.iLetter.org.uk).

    Tim Streater, Apr 20, 2014
  16. David Downing

    ErikRS Guest

    I'm not sure about Fireworks - haven't used that for years.:) - but
    according to my friend both Photoshop and Illustrator CS4 won't be as
    fast and stable on 10.9.x. And some plug-ins might even not work at all
    and would require upgrade/update...

    But one thing is for sure, you will need to upgrade your BBEdit to at
    least ver. 9.5.x. I found the old BBEdit 8.5 very slow on SnowLeopard,
    so I upgraded to ver. 9.6 and it /is/ faster than. Ver. 9.6.x also runs
    very fast on 10.6.x and 10.7.x.

    If I were you I'd stay with SL or upgrade to ML 10.8.x depending on your
    Fireworks version. 10.8.x is still the best and most stable Apple system
    until now...

    You can see Fireworks system requirements here...
    <http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/system-requirements-fireworks.html>

    ErikRS, Apr 21, 2014
  17. David Downing

    billy Guest

    What happens if your email user agent isn't loaded?

    Billy Y..

    billy, Apr 21, 2014
  18. Then please tell me how it can be that so many do downgrade again to 10.8.x?

    cheers, Erik Richard[/QUOTE]

    What? 10.7 and 10.8 are awful. You either move forward to 10.9 or jump
    back to 10.6. If old hardware with a new Apple "Pro" app has you
    chained in purgatory then it's time to jump out of Apple's walled
    garden. The Apple "Pro" apps are nothing to write home about. I have
    an app on my Android phone that produces far better images than Aperture.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 21, 2014
  19. David Downing

    Lewis Guest

    In message <lj0l4c$ocf$>
    I see none of that under 10.9. The only apps that is terrible under 10.9
    is just as terrible under 10.8 and 10.7 and that is iTunes 11, which is
    "not responding" about 50% of the time.
    I have... <counts> 9 Macs currently running 10.9 and one running 10.6.8.
    In addition, I am direct support for about 30 more Macs, more than half
    of which are running 10.9.

    The only one that is having any weird problems is the 2012 MBP which
    seem to ALWAYS go into Hibernation mode when it is put to sleep and
    takes longer than I would like to restore that image into RAM.
    Hmm. My recollection is that 10.3 was *excellent* and the first OS X
    that was really completely usable for pretty much anyone. I don't think
    I used 10.3 Server though.

    (I am one of the fe people who really liked 10.0 PB - 10.2, but that was
    largely because I live my life in the Terminal most of the time. Normal
    mortals found 10.0-10.2 pretty hard going at times.)

    Lewis, Apr 21, 2014
  20. David Downing

    Lewis Guest

    I would agree that 2GB is too little to run Mavericks well. 4GB seems
    fine, but of course more RAM is *always* better. On any laptop my rule
    is "First thing, maximize the RAM."
    The option to run 2008 disappeared for my wife earlier this year. She
    has to have 2011 to deal with the files she gets from admin.

    Every time there is a new OS X version I hear lots of complaints, and
    even more so for 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9. I am always confused since
    I think that, overall, OS X has been on a very steady trend upwards
    since the public beta. I think 10.7 was maybe a slght step down from
    10.6, and there's (to my mind) absolutely no reason to run 10.8, but
    other than that...

    When I use the 10.6.8 machine I am astounded anew at how clunky it is
    compared to my 10.9 machines.

    --
    If you [Carrot] were dice, you'd always roll sixes. And the dice don't
    roll themselves. If it wasn't against everything he wanted to be true

    Lewis, Apr 21, 2014