Latitude CS: Bay manager for WinXP?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Slimm, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Slimm

Slimm

I have a Dell Latitude CS running Win98 with the Softex bay manager that enables hot swapping of an external CD or floppy drive. I purchased an XP operating system upgrade but when I run XP's pre-installation diagnostic feature to check whether the system meets requirements for upgrade I receive a message saying that the bay manager is incompatible with XP and won't run. Assuming this is true does anyone know the answers to these questions:
    1) is there a bay manager that will allow hot swapping with this laptop and the XP OS? I don't see anything on the Softex web site.
    2) are there any options for file I/O if I install XP and can't get a bay manager? can I just install a driver for the external CD drive and forget about a bay manager?
    3) is the USB port on this model a v1.1 or 2.0? will it supply power to USB devices powered through the USB port?
    All information and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Slimm, Aug 8, 2006
Ask a Question