Latitude D520 - Great Specs, Value

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Journey, Jul 4, 2007.

  1. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Tonight I helped a friend of mine find a laptop for her needs. The
    best value we found is the Latitude D520. I thought I'd post this in
    case there are other budget-conscious people reading the group.

    She wanted the 3 year warranty with Complete Care. Even so, the final
    price with tax and free shipping is: $1,273. Without the warranties,
    the price would have come in under $1,000.

    She doesn't need Vista, or even XP Pro. XP Home is fine, as is 1G RAM
    (1 DIMM so it's easily upgradeable).

    Battery life with the included 6 cell primary battery is consistently
    stated in web reviews to be over 5 hours. This price includes a media
    bay battery, pushing it to over 8 hours. That's even with a 15"
    screen.

    The screen is not glossy -- it's matte. However, it's brighter than
    the previous model, and the standard resolution is better than
    widescreen for her (she is an author and likes more verticle space
    than wide space, and reading a document in wide screen is harder when
    it comes to moving to the next line).

    Here are the specs:

    Latitude D520 Dual Core
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5500 (1.66GHz) 2M L2 Cache, 667Mhz Dual Core,
    Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2, with media

    LCDs 15 inch SXGA+ LCD Panel
    [320-4680]

    Memory 1.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 1 DIMM
    [311-5686]

    Hard Drives 120GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM
    [341-3511]

    Bluetooth Dell Wireless® 350 Bluetooth Module
    [430-1539]

    AC Adapter 90W A/C Adapter, Energy Star Compliant
    [310-9257]

    Module Bay Devices 8X DVD+/-RW w/Sonic Digital Media™ and Cyberlink
    Power DVD™
    [313-3883]

    Wireless LAN (802.11) Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Dual-band Mini Card
    [430-1961]

    Batteries 6 Cell Primary Battery
    [312-0409]

    Warranty & Service 3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year Mail-in
    Service

    Accidental Damage Service Add CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service
    to 3Yr Lim Warranty
    [412-0357]
    [980-1497]

    Additional Batteries 6 Cell Media Bay Battery
    [312-0067]

    Up to 4.8 hours - $0.00

    Save $468 on select Latitude D520 through the Small Business division!
    - $468.00
    Subtotal: $1,207.00
    Shipping and Handling: $19.99

    Shipping Discount: -$19.99

    Tax Total: $66.41
    Total: $1,273.41

    Journey, Jul 4, 2007

  2. Journey

    Preben Q Guest

    Thanks for this efficient information.
    But you forgot to tell about screen resolution.

    Also I would like to know whether a 32GB solid state drive is offered in the US as
    option instead of the 5400 rpm drive.
    That would be great for my needs.

    Preben Q, Jul 4, 2007

  3. Journey

    georgie Guest

    Is it integrated Intel graphics and which one? I can't find any
    mention of this on Dell's site.

    georgie, Jul 4, 2007
  4. Journey

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Jul 4, 2007
  5. Journey

    S.Lewis Guest

    Depending on the LCD chosen: 1400x1050 for the SXGA+ , or the default
    1024x768 for the default XGA screen.

    I couldn't find the SSD hard drive offered as an option on the model in
    small business:
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=blcwdsd&s=bsd

    I *do* find it offered on D830, D630 and even the most expensive D430
    configurations. It does appear that they are attempting to "steer" consumers
    to certain machines for that option.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Jul 4, 2007
  6. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Integrated graphics -- Intel 950. I have it on my Inspiron 640m and
    it works well, even when driving my 24" monitor.

    Journey, Jul 4, 2007
  7. Journey

    Journey Guest

    As stew says, the SXGA+ is 1400 x 1050. On a 15" screen, it's very
    readable.

    When I was looking at other options I saw the SSD (not on the 520) for
    over $500. Quite a premium right now but I look forward to reading
    reviews about how that affects speed and battery life.

    Journey, Jul 4, 2007
  8. Journey

    Journey Guest

    My friend received this today and I am helping her to set it up. The
    build quality is great. I like the standard aspect 15" screen more
    than a wide screen. The non-glossy screen also gets very bright, and
    the battery life is amazing.

    Journey, Jul 11, 2007