    Seems to me that the E6410 BIOS is defective, all versions including the last A15 BIOS.

    I finally fixed the problem by wiping the drive clean, then reinstalling with legacy settings. The system now boots up without recourse to the F12 key, and the F12 menu still shows both legacy and UEFI device choices. Seemsto me it ought to be one or the other. And why not?

    UEFI is not to be confused with UEFA, the governing body of European football, known as soccer in this country... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Sep 4, 2013

  2. Ben Myers

    ps56k Guest

    I tried to set up a Dell Latitude E6410 last week, and whoever had it before
    me toggled the UEFI setting in the BIOS. This leads to disaster. I
    installed Win 7 Pro with the UEFI setting and the system would not boot at
    all after Win 7 was completely installed. Then I rebooted and pressed F12.
    The resulting menu showed both the older legacy boot menu choices and the
    UEFI ones. So I picked the UEFI hard drive and the system booted. (The
    extra sludge of a UEFI partition was present.) But wait a minute! No
    self-respecting person is gonna wanna hit F12 every time the system powers
    up.

    So I went into the BIOS and selected legacy boot and reinstalled again.
    Same mess, and same dual choices of legacy and UEFI boot.

    Seems to me that the E6410 BIOS is defective, all versions including the
    last A15 BIOS.

    I finally fixed the problem by wiping the drive clean, then reinstalling
    with legacy settings. The system now boots up without recourse to the F12
    key, and the F12 menu still shows both legacy and UEFI device choices.
    Seems to me it ought to be one or the other. And why not?

    UEFI is not to be confused with UEFA, the governing body of European
    football, known as soccer in this country... Ben Myers

    --------
    always learn something just reading the Subject lines, and clicking the
    interesting ones...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface

    ps56k, Dec 10, 2013