Latitude hard drive missing - how to get new hard drive r4ecognized

Discussion in 'Dell' started by BH, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. BH

    BH Guest

    I have a Latitude C600 with latest Phoenix BIOS (latest version, A23, in
    summer of 2003) with a slow 20 GB and 4200 rpm hard drive.

    I want to replace it with a Hitachi 7K60 60 MB 7200 rpm hard drive.

    When I depower the Latitude laptop, slide out the old hard drive, and slide
    in the new hard drive, it is not recognized by the Phoenix BIOS.

    I find nothing in this BIOS that has ANY choices at all to select or
    determine hard drive parameters. The first screen tells me my (old) hard
    drive is 20005 megabytes. But that is it! No selections, no auto-detect,
    NOTHING AT ALL!

    How does one choose hard drive parameters in the Phoenix BIOS? I would even
    manually input the number of cylinders (16,383), heads (16), sectors/tracks
    (63) and capacity (60 GB) if I could - but I can't find specific hard drive
    parameter information anywhere.

    Any suggestions on how to get this new hard drive to be recognized?

    BH

    BH, Feb 3, 2004

  2. BH

    BigJIm Guest

    I would think the first thing you have to do is partition and then format
    the drive, it is also possible that
    the bios my not recognize it any way. You can check on the dell forums and
    ask the question there.

    BigJIm, Feb 3, 2004

  3. BH

    Robert Guest

    Have you moved the interposer board from the old hard drive to the new hard
    drive?
    It is a short board that goes onto the pins of the hard drive connector and
    changes it to an edge connector.

    Robert, Feb 4, 2004
  4. BH

    S.Lewis Guest

    <snip>

    Yeah, partitioning the drive should have nothing to do with BIOS properly
    seeing it, but everything to do with Windows being able to recognize it....

    S.Lewis, Feb 4, 2004