    automatic shutdown trigger way earlier than it feels like they should.
    I don't want to buy a new battery unless I really have to, but I'd like
    to get this issue resolved, does anyone have any advice?

    dcrosta, Sep 7, 2006

  2. dcrosta

    S.Lewis Guest

    You seem to pin this on the BIOS version. Have you considered flashing back
    to the original version the system had previously?

    S.Lewis, Sep 7, 2006

  3. dcrosta

    Jay B Guest

    if the battery is less than a year old, get dell to replace it.
    it could be a sign that the battery is getting bad. and a coincidence
    with your upgrade to the bios.

    Jay B, Sep 7, 2006
  4. dcrosta

    dcrosta Guest

    The Phlash16 utility (X300_A08.exe, the previous version of BIOS I
    believe I had before the update) won't install since it recognizes that
    a newer version of BIOS is installed. Is there a way to ask it to
    ignore that? I don't want to experiment with command line switches, and
    /? and /help only produce the version string for the Phlash16 program.
    Haven't been able to find any documentation on it by googling around.

    dcrosta, Sep 7, 2006
  5. dcrosta

    dcrosta Guest

    It's about two and a half years old -- I realize that the battery is
    old and definitely doesn't perform as well as when it was new (back
    then I got about two and a half hours from it), but I can't shake the
    feeling that it's performing even less well than it should, and this
    quick rundown followed by a long time at 3% issue makes me wonder even
    more.

    dcrosta, Sep 7, 2006
  6. dcrosta

    Jay B Guest

    all my batteries died just before 3 years.
    so you dont have much life left.
    but in your case, i think also the onboard battery electronics is
    failing. i've not seen that myself, but have heard.
    could be because the battery is very hot.
    i would just ignore it till the battery stops altogether.
    change your alerts to a low threshold, and stop wasting time looking for
    a solution that doesnt exist.

    Jay B, Sep 7, 2006
  7. dcrosta

    Jay B Guest

    be careful with flashing, one mistake and you have a paperweight.
    i screwed one up once by giving it the wrong bios, too bad it wasnt a
    dell. couldnt fix it.

    i would consider selling that laptop while it still has good value and
    buy a nice new one. the new laptops are nicer and run cooler and
    batteries last 3-5 hours.

    even when you replace the battery, i think they stopped really making
    those batteries, you would wind up buying a battery that is new, but was
    sitting on a shelf somewhere for a year, and in my experience, the
    replacement batteries never last as long as the original 3 years. i had
    1 new battery die within a year of buying it, and the other is already
    showing signs of not holding enough charge. my conclusion is that these
    batteries were sitting somewhere and i got screwed. so be careful there.
    try and find out when the cells were born.

    i hear they're having a sale on good cheap cells from Japan! lol

    Jay B, Sep 7, 2006