Latop Problem - Dell Latitude LCD?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Primster, Nov 27, 2003.

  1. Primster

    Primster Guest

    My Dell Latitude has a problem that I'm thinking aobut trying to
    repair it myself. I'm kind of an amatuer with laptops, but an advanced
    tech with regular pc's.

    Here is the problem:

    If I turn on the laptop and open it about 1-2" everything is fine.
    However, if I open the screen the whole way so that you can see the
    screen like most people look at a laptop, the laptop make a beep and
    the entire screen turns grey. Does anyone have any suggestion or
    solutions to repair this?

    I'm thinking that it's an LCD wire that is either caught up in the
    hinge or maybe a short of some sort.

    Primster, Nov 27, 2003

  2. Primster

    Chris Allen Guest

    On my Inspiron 4100, lid open 1-2" is the threshold point for
    the bios to return either condition *lid-open* or condition
    *lid-closed* to the processes that use this information (for
    example, I can set my laptop to do any of a large number of things
    when it detects the lid going from open to closed or vice versa). It
    sounds like somehow this lid-state-detection got reversed, or somehow
    one of the processes that uses this lid-state information got
    corrupted and now does the wrong thing when the lid goes from the
    closed to the open position.

    Progressing from your idea that there is some kind of a part-time
    short, perhaps the lid-state detection circuitry is suffering from
    a full-time short that only effects it when it is trying to return
    a *lid-open* flag to the bios.

    I would try first -- if you can read the screen at all when the lid
    is only open as far as you can get away with -- simply going into
    the display properties control panel and telling it to keep the
    screen on full-time (i.e., regardless of the lid status). (A flat
    mirror layed on the keyboard might help you read the screen --
    though the image would appear upside down.) If the problem is
    simply, as I surmised, that the laptop is incorrectly
    detecting lid state, this should let you continue to use the
    laptop with minimal inconvenience beyond that experienced
    before this problem emerged.

    -Chris

    Chris Allen, Nov 28, 2003

  3. Primster

    Primster Guest

    I found out something else new.... The LCD goes blank at the exact
    same point when I open the lid approximately 5"... Does it sound like
    a wire problem?

    Primster, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Primster

    David Lee Guest

    Primster wrote...
    Sounds like it but to test out the software theory try booting up into DOS
    and see it the same thing happens (XP has a format option to create a
    bootable DOS floppy). Alternatively boot up into BIOS setup and see if the
    display behaves in the same way.

    David

    David Lee, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Primster

    The Hedonist Guest

    IT's quite possible that its the flex cable and it could have come unseated
    in one or two or both places ie , the connector on the systemboard is not
    seated properly the 2 screws that hold it in place regularly work loose or
    it might be the connection at the other end where it connects to the lcd
    either way they are both very easy to reseat /replace

    The Hedonist, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Primster

    Ian Stirling Guest

    The software has no means of sensing when it's 5" open.
    Hence, it can't be software.

    Ian Stirling, Nov 28, 2003