    So my question: if I expect quite a few hours of non-use during the day,
    should I shut it off. (In fact, should I shut it off at night)?

    Mel

    MB, Nov 8, 2003

  2. MB

    Yvon Guest

    mine is on 24 hours a day. I reboot about one a week.

    Yvon

    Yvon, Nov 8, 2003

  3. I leave my on 24/7, the only time I turn it off is when I go on trips

    Dan Sgambelluri, Nov 8, 2003
  4. MB

    BT Guest

    Depends how much you're paying for electricity...

    BT

    BT, Nov 8, 2003
  5. MB

    cdrcurious Guest

    Good point, how much does it cost to run a Dimension 2400 for a day?

    Assume that the monitor is in energy saving mode when not in use,
    let's say 18 hours a day.

    cdrcurious, Nov 8, 2003
  6. someone once told me it is better to leave your system on. they said that
    the solder on the board experienced expansion and contraction from heating
    up and cooling down causing cold solder joints. whatever, i leave mine on
    24/7. i just clean it out about twice a month. the fan sucks in alot of
    crap. especially hair from my pets, nasty!

    Mark A. Stewart, Nov 8, 2003
  7. MB

    Keith S. Guest

    Also factor in cooling during the summer as the unit throws off heats.

    Lastly, factor in the pollution generated from the wasted power...

    Keith S., Nov 9, 2003
  8. MB

    cdrcurious Guest

    Factor in the savings in heating during the winter.

    Factor in the reduction in pollution due to fewer systems thrown away
    as a result of failure.

    cdrcurious, Nov 9, 2003
  9. Non sequitur.
    Leaving it on doesn't cause failure.
    Turning it off doesn't cause failure.

    Lester Horwinkle, Nov 9, 2003
  10. MB

    HistoryFan Guest

    I turn my computer on when I wake up in the morning, and turn it off
    when I go to bed at night.

    HistoryFan, Nov 9, 2003
  11. MB

    Phred Guest

    There are other issues to consider too, of course.

    For example, from about October through March the ambient temperature
    in my "computer room" at home is likely to be above specs for at least
    a couple of hours each day, so I don't leave my home machine running.

    Conversely, in the air-conditioned office I don't leave the machine
    running overnight because of the danger of electrical faults and,
    especially, lightning strikes during summer months. And I turn it
    off during the day too, when storms are around.

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Nov 9, 2003
  12. MB

    ky Guest

    Why not put it on "Standby" ???????

    ky, Nov 9, 2003
  13. MB

    goop Guest

    standby isn't really the best choice for a desktop. it was a power setting
    designed for notebooks, and in most cases I've never seen it implemented
    well in any desktop. if you're going to set it in such a low power
    consumption mode, wait the extra 30 seconds to 1 minute it takes to do a
    full boot up. you'll have a much more stable system as a result.

    goop, Nov 9, 2003
  14. MB

    Tom Scales Guest

    I would have agreed with that on a Win9x box, but XP does standby pretty
    well even on a desktop. It has the advantage of bringing everything back up,
    apps and all.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 9, 2003
  15. I agree. I never shut my computer down now; I only use standby. Never had
    a problem with it, and I can bring it out of standby in about 5 seconds.

    Eddie Aftandilian, Nov 10, 2003
  16. MB

    Larry Guest

    I leave mine on 24/7. I was concerened about AC line tranisients, brownouts,
    AC hits during storms, etc. so I bought an APC UPS to take care of that
    worry. We seem to get a lot of line transients in Northern VA. The UPS works
    with the PC to shut it down in an orderly fashion if power is off for more
    than 10-15 minutes.

    Larry, Nov 10, 2003
  17. MB

    Phred Guest

    Fair enough. I've thought of getting one of those too. But I still
    have the problem of daily ambients commonly exceeding the specified
    max of 35C during October-March. So I normally shutdown, turn off,
    and unplug both power and modem connections. (Just paranoid. :)

    Cheers, Phred.

    Phred, Nov 10, 2003
  18. MB

    ky Guest

    I think it's time for you to upgrade to XP. Takes only about 2 sec to
    standby and 2 sec to reactivate.

    ky, Nov 10, 2003
  19. MB

    Tom Almy Guest

    I've got a Dimension 4300S and an Optiplex GX60 which have been using
    standby for over six months now without any problems. (The 4300S was
    running 24/7 and I wanted to reduce power consumption).

    At least the GX60 was designed to use standby as it has the "Energy
    Star" label.

    Tom Almy, Nov 10, 2003
  20. MB

    Aziem Hassan Guest

    i totally agree there when u power off and on again the system is more
    stable than when used in the stanby mode...i never shut my pc down....but
    for energy saving i let the monitor power down and let the hard drive power
    down also

    Aziem Hassan, Nov 10, 2003