    Just an off-the-wall observation re consumer 9V batteries - a fresh one with
    exposed contacts in a pocketful of loose change can bring about a real
    attention-getter.

    timberlandko, Mar 15, 2005

  2. And that would be a bad place to keep your BIC lighter, by the way.

    I once tossed a bunch of D and C batteries into a large coffee can
    "temporarily", you know how that goes. It weren't long before it was a
    can full of dead batteries, but at least they didn't generate too much
    heat.

    Captain Jinks, Mar 19, 2005

  3. Captain Jinks coughed up:

    I'm not sure I could make the circuit complete for all batteries in a coffee
    can if I tried.

    How were they arranged? Did you fill the thing with iron filings or
    something? ;)

    --
    Puzzle: You are given a deck of cards all face up
    except for 10 cards mixed in which are face down.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 19, 2005
  4. I didn't think there was much chance of this happening either. In
    addition to the batteries being dead, and none were totally fresh to
    begin with, some had leaked all over the place, mostly those damned
    Energizers, which are really prone to leakage. It's really annoying when
    you have to use an arbor press to remove a bad Energizer from your
    favorite three cell Maglite.

    CJ

    Captain Jinks, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Thomas G. Marshall

    Roger Wilco Guest

    "Thomas G. Marshall"
    The method of storage may have promoted local action.

    Roger Wilco, Mar 20, 2005
  6. Thomas G. Marshall

    Roger Wilco Guest

    "Thomas G. Marshall"
    Those aren't batteries, they're cells (yeah, I know - who cares) :)
    Maybe the storage method promoted local action.

    Roger Wilco, Mar 20, 2005
  7. Captain Jinks coughed up:
    I've seen some leakage from energizers, but mostly because I use /only/
    them. (haven't tested the e^2's yet). And that's because after
    ex*haus*tive testing on a sony walkman over many many hours in the gym, I
    discovered that hands down the bunny beats everyone, even when they say it
    doesn't.

    Thomas G. Marshall, Mar 20, 2005