    menus and buttons at the top instead of 2 if you use the Google Toolbar -
    but I will detail the non-Tablet-related annoyances at sites relevant to
    those problems.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Unfortunately with the various menu technologies MS uses internally and
    externally (like in .NET) they rarely give consideration to the menu drop
    alignment. In a .NET toolstrip you have to look at the setting yourself and
    make the change. Pretty ridiculous I think. They've exposed the setting, why
    not make it default to the user's system-wide choice.

    Minority life is tough. :)

    Josh Einstein, Apr 25, 2006

  3. One other thing. Are you sure you aren't backwards here? Menus by default
    open to the right making it difficult for RIGHT handed people. All my menus
    (on my desktop) open up to the right. On my tablet, some open to the left
    correctly, but some don't. I'm a right handed person. And by minority, I
    meant tablet users in general, not left handed people.

    Josh Einstein, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I know minority life is tough but having Bill Gates as a left-handed Tablet
    PC user should give us some clout.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 25, 2006
  5. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I see that the menus of Internet Explorer 6 (or even Windows Explorer) are
    not modified by the menu-handedness setting either. As you note, that is a
    bother for right-handed people. However, the problem is even worse on
    Internet Explorer 7 since more menus are two levels deep. They need to fix
    this problem so the menu handedness setting works.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 25, 2006
  6. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Mickey, as you may have noted in some previous posts over the last three
    plus years in this newsgroup, I have a lefty daughter (out of three) who
    daily uses a Tablet PC. She's never once complained about the positioning
    of menus, etc., and I've asked. Of course, I could never write (and
    sometimes can't even read) in the manner in which she uses the Tablet PC.
    :cool:

    Chris H., Apr 25, 2006
  7. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Use the "beta" mechanism in IE7 to file bug reports, Mickey. I'll guarantee
    you it isn't going to change in IE6 at all. :cool:

    Chris H., Apr 25, 2006
  8. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    Right. The menu positioning wasn't a problem for lefties until IE7.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    I've already reported this menu bug through the Microsoft Connect Internet
    Explorer Feedback. It is bug # 65268 "Left-handed menus don't appear on
    Tablet PC". They are using a voting system, so please vote to have this bug
    fixed.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 25, 2006
  10. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    For the Favorites button, the menu comes down in a left-hand-friendly way.
    This also can't be configured. This is a real usability issue.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 25, 2006
  11. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Mickey, as much as I like to hear your suggestions, I think you should post
    your issues to an appropriate newsgroup or through the beta channels. We
    don't support unreleased or beta software here, and we're basically flapping
    in the breeze because the folks who should be advised of the situation
    probably don't read this group.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 25, 2006
  13. And you are coming close to breaking beta terms by posting that here.

    Mike Williams, Apr 26, 2006
  14. What term would that be?

    Josh Einstein, Apr 26, 2006
  15. Not posting anything from Connect.

    Mike Williams, Apr 26, 2006
  16. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    It is a public beta. I didn't see any nondisclosure agreement.

    Also, I'm discussing my own bug report. Even for Apple bug reports, for
    which others can't see your bug reports, there is no problem posting your
    own reports on bugs in publicly available versions, as I (and others) have
    done extensively at www.segal.org/java/.

    Also, one is encouraged to discuss the IE7 bugs at
    microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, which is not governed by separate
    rules than microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc. Since the number of Tablet
    users at microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general is not huge, this group
    is a relevant place to mention Tablet-specific issues.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 26, 2006
  17. If you're on Connect then you'll perhaps have seen an increaasing number
    of announcements that they'll be kicking folks off the beta who divulge
    anything from Connect or the private newsgroups. It's not an NDA, but
    they have published a policy which they can enforce unilaterally.

    If you haven't seen any of these posts then I'm just letting you know.

    Mike Williams, Apr 26, 2006
  18. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general is no more private than this
    newsgroup. All you need to do is add it to a newsreader. Microsoft asks
    that the details of IE7 be discussed on
    microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, so they are making it clear that
    the discussions are not confidential.

    Microsoft Connect has plenty of groups for non-public betas, which probably
    accounts for the confidentiality announcements you saw. But publicizing
    one's own observations about a public beta is both fair game and encouraged
    by Microsoft.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 26, 2006
  19. Mickey Segal

    Chris H. Guest

    Beyond this little debate, Mickey, we don't support beta software in this
    newsgroup. It is not within the scope, and at this point the proper
    discussion area would be within the assigned beta newsgroups. I do agree
    with you that it is good to discuss the issues, but there's no one hear to
    do anything helpful regarding that beta. :cool:

    Chris H., Apr 26, 2006
  20. Mickey Segal

    Mickey Segal Guest

    If someone brings up an issue of proper procedures, as Mike Williams did, it
    is inappropriate to leave the issue unaddressed because it implies agreement
    with the contentions. But I agree that such a discussion is best done on
    microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, and I started a thread "Are bug
    reports about IE7 secret even if marked as public?" there over an hour ago.
    So far no one has replied, but keep an eye on the thread if you are
    interested in follow-up.

    Since major newspapers are discussing the merits of the public beta of
    Internet Explorer 7 it would be most odd if reviewers were forbidden from
    discussing the problems with the software and only allowed to discuss the
    advantages. Such reviews would merit disclaimer statements.

    Mickey Segal, Apr 26, 2006