    might screw things up if I transfer them over.

    Any comments on either the File Sharing or the Timbuktu approaches?

    Thanks . . .

    A. E. Siegman, Jan 17, 2005

  2. A. E. Siegman

    Lisa Horton Guest

    If the apps need to print, and you use networked printers, you may find
    things working better under native OS9 rather than Classic mode, which
    doesn't support networked printing from Classic mode.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jan 17, 2005

  3. I think maybe you're suggesting that I reboot the new machine in OS 9
    when needed? If so, I was under the impression that current iBooks
    can't even be booted under OS 9 (?) -- and even if they can, thanks for
    reply, but I'd rather not do something that extreme (and likely time
    consuming as well).

    A. E. Siegman, Jan 18, 2005
  4. A. E. Siegman

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    I've only used a couple OS9 applications under Classic. And the only
    printers I have access to are networked printers, and both applications
    print. So perhaps it is specific network printers/protocols that don't
    print? The printers that I've printed to are (I think) exported from
    the print server as PAP printers.

    Beverly

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 18, 2005
  5. A. E. Siegman

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Why not try running the legacy applications in the classic environment?
    Chances are excellent that they will run just fine. I've only had one
    application that was any problem and that just required me to set the
    display to 256 colors. In the (unlikely) event you find something that
    won't run in classic, you still have the OS 9 iBook.

    I would go with the (free) "file sharing when necessary" approach until
    it proves unworkable for some reason.

    Tom Stiller, Jan 18, 2005
  6. [/QUOTE]
    (to running legacy OS 9 apps on an OS 9 machine,
    from a new OS X machine)

    Thanks, your thinking parallels mine and it sounds as if you have
    experience with Timbuktu. So, I'm going to try it, despite the
    admittedly excessive cost of Timbuktu.

    My primary legacy problem, by the way, is Textures, which was a gorgeous
    implementation of TeX for the Mac under OS 9, but which is apparently
    not being upgraded to OS X (at least, as best one can tell).

    Textures does run OK in Classic, but the typeset pages look absolutely
    awful, and I've encountered other glitches -- and although several other
    versions of TeX are available for OS X, I've been frightened off by
    their competing claims, complex installation instructions, and what even
    seem to be squabbles among the authors of competing versions.

    A. E. Siegman, Jan 18, 2005
  7. A. E. Siegman

    Lisa Horton Guest

    Perhaps the difference is that you're using a print server, while my
    networked printers are connected to other computers on the network? My
    Classic Apps won't recognize any printer connected to any computer, not
    Classic, not OSX, not WinXP.

    Honestly, I'd LOVE to get this issue resolved, as this is the only thing
    preventing me from retiring the old Beige G3 and moving completely to
    OSX, and I'd love to reclaim the desk space.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Jan 18, 2005

  8. How attached are you to Textures? You might want to take a look at
    TeXShop; it's freeware, and I find it suits all my TeX needs very well.
    (It's a front end for Gerben Wierda's compilation of teTeX, which you do
    have to install, but that's also free and easy to download and install.
    Instructions are included in TeXShop's help pages.)

    Alternatively, OzTeX doesn't require the teTeX package, and it also runs
    very well under OS X. It's shareware ($30), and it plays nicely with
    lots of different text editors.

    Jeanne

    Jeanne Clelland, Jan 19, 2005
  9. Thank you. I've heard good recommendations for both of these twice now,
    so it may be that my investment in Timbuktu to run Textures on a legacy
    OS 9 machine was an overly hasty decision.

    A. E. Siegman, Jan 20, 2005