Legacy Audio for older games? (A7N8X Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Anon, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Anon

    Anon Guest

    I have a handful of older games (Ultima Underworld, Lands of Lore,
    etc.) that I would like to play again. However, these games are
    played in DOS rather than Windows, and to get sound, I need to have
    Soundblaster or similar (adLib) support. I'm currently using the
    on-board audio from my Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard (nForce2 MCP-T
    APU) in Windows 98SE, and thus have no need to install a Soundblaster
    card. So I'm wondering if there is a way to either:

    1) Install some legacy audio drivers to get Soundblaster
    support/emulation in a DOS environment?

    2) I think I have a Soundblaster Live! laying around somewhere that I
    could install. Is there a way to have that sound card in my machine,
    but have it ignored in Windows 98SE while I can access it in DOS for
    these games through a specially configured autoexec.bat that has the
    "SETBLASTER = ....", etc., lines in it?

    If someone could help me figure out how to get sound in these old DOS
    games by using either of the two methods above, or some other method,
    I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you.

    Anon, Dec 16, 2003