    I want to use it as a dos box or playing old ms-pdos games, etc...

    Thanks,

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 4, 2003

  2. Ed

    Elector Guest

    Hi Ed:

    Don't quote me on this one. The lower numbered PB had a drive limit
    with original BIOS of 2.175 and with a bios update with Logical Block
    Addressing (LBA) enabled 8.4 GB

    Your cd rom should be on the sound card or modem combo I forget which.
    You have a spot for the older 5.25 Floppy Drive on the floppy disk
    controller with a dual ribbon. It does not go on the Primary IDE or
    Secondary IDE slots. The slots in the system are colored as to not
    make a mistake. The FDC=Black and the IDE=White if memory serves me.

    I Hope that helped?

    Elector

    Elector, Dec 4, 2003

  3. Ed

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ed,

    My long-time rule of thumb with 486 systems is that the early ones have a 528MB
    limit on the capacity of hard drives supported, and are not very likely to
    support an ATAPI/IDE CD-ROM drive. The later ones have a 2.1GB limit, and the
    chances of ATAPI CD-ROM support are increased, but not 100%.

    The foregoing explains why older 486 systems often have a separate proprietary
    CD-ROM controller or a proprietary CD-ROM controller built into a sound card.
    And the CD-ROM drive is, of course, also proprietary, with some difficulty
    obtaining even DOS drivers any more.

    As noted in an earlier post, MicroFirmware sells BIOS upgrades for older 486s
    and Pentium systems, but the surest and easiest way to increase hard drive size
    and add support for contemporary ATAPI CD-ROM drives is via a 3rd party ISA bus
    disk controller card with its own built-in BIOS. The controller's disk BIOS
    effectively replaces the one incorporated into the motherboard BIOS. You might
    find a card like this on eBay for short money, or used in a smaller computer
    shop that hoards older parts. Brand names include Promise, GSI,
    MicroFirmware... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 4, 2003
  4. Ed

    metronid Guest

    I have mentioned before
    I have a Legend 10CD
    2.1Gig is the limit of the bios

    A bios update from micro firmware
    or a suitable card will increase your HD limits

    The unit will still be a slow one

    I have also mentioned that I have the same unit
    with the Bios for the isa/pci Riser card
    working happily on my legend 10CD

    Sees the 4gig limit that way
    It is un-orthodox
    I had nothing to lose

    2 gig to 4 hig is not much

    metronid, Dec 5, 2003
  5. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Thanks that does help...

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 5, 2003
  6. Ed

    Ed Guest

    I realize it will be slow (especially for any windowsOS). I
    want to use it strictly as an inexpensive "dos box" for playing
    old ms-dos based games(early 80's through mid 90's), for this it seems
    to work very well, even too fast at times :)

    I don't want to buy the new bios as I want to keep this project as
    cheap as possible. 2 gigs will hold a lot of these old games, adequate
    for me(and it looks like I could squeeze 3 hd's into the case along with
    the ide cdrom using the on board controllers if i make my own bracket).

    Thanks for the help everyone!

    Ed

    Ed, Dec 5, 2003
  7. Ed

    Anthony Guest

    Bracket, who needs a bracket. Duct Tape my man!!!!! It works wonders!!!!!
    LOL

    Regards,
    Anthony

    Anthony, Dec 5, 2003
  8. Ed

    Elector Guest

    Bwaaaaaaa your killing me with these types of answers..! Ha ha

    Elector

    Elector, Dec 5, 2003
  9. Ed

    Anthony Guest

    Seriously.....

    Had a friend who bought a PB Legend in a desktop case. He wanted to add a
    2nd hard drive for data (dater for the UK posters :) storage. Of sourse
    there was no place to mount the 2nd hard drive. So we duct taped it to the
    bottom of the case under the CDrom drive.

    And in my old PB Synera in a Pizza Tower, there was no room for the 2nd
    hard drive either, since all the bays were full, so I just zipped tied it to
    the primary hard drive. Worked great.

    Regards,
    Anthony

    Anthony, Dec 5, 2003
  10. Ed

    Ben Myers Guest

    Hmm. Ever considered a farm of SCSI disks in an external chassis? Up to 7
    drives per adapter with 50-pin narrow SCSI, 15 drives with 68-pin. And with the
    possibility of dual-channel SCSI adapters and more than one SCSI adapter, a PB
    could easily be set up with a terabyte of storage.

    Duct tape has its myriad of uses though... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 5, 2003
  11. Ed

    Ben Myers Guest

    Aha, you have a living breathing Legend 10CD there, so you don't have to rely on
    increasingly dim memory like me... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 5, 2003
  12. Ed

    First Last Guest

    Bracket, who needs a bracket. Duct Tape my man!!!!! It works wonders!!!!!
    LOL Regards, Anthony

    Great advice for prototyping, but you should use a tube of constrution
    adhesive when you know it works!

    First Last, Dec 5, 2003
  13. Ed

    Elector Guest

    Gwaaaa you also had me in stitches on that answer. I think someone
    here should actually keep a journal of these answers and then we can
    have "auto acks" for the more common questions.

    I hope you took no offense to my reply to our other thread? I was
    pointing out how "touchy" people get in this group. ha ha and how
    things get blown out of proportion.

    Elector

    Elector, Dec 5, 2003
  14. Ed

    Winston Guest

    Elector:

    In all serious discussions, the fact folks like you and Ben and Simon
    and Anthony and KC take an interest to keep the group civil is a
    glowing tribute to what other groups have (spam posts, trolls, kooks,
    jerky posts etc.) as far as problems. This group is not plagued with
    such and if you are, I have seen quick action. This is a very well
    ordered and friendly group. Kudos to the regulars for your quick
    actions.

    W.

    Winston, Dec 6, 2003