    or selected parts for shipping plus not much more than scrap value. A
    potential valuable item for an Packard Bell collector. And I know there
    are a few of you out there... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 24, 2010

  2. Hi Ben !

    Once again, I do sincerely appreciate you keeping this (mostly dead ) NG
    informed of your valuable finds.

    I can't use that one myself, but I *DO* hope someone grabs it. You are known
    for your very reasonable price, and it's a given that the machine will be as
    you described.

    Keep letting us know if any other PB's become available !

    bobwatts
    EartH

    "Stay thirsty my friends! "

    Robert E. Watts, Oct 24, 2010

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    No takers. Stripped for boards and chips for electronic scrap. No
    longer available. No longer exists... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 6, 2010
  4. Ben Myers

    MotoFox Guest

    Awwwww....

    On the other hand, I acquired another vintage 1995 Force 54CD, Pentium 90 MHz,
    just last week. Got rid of the old, junk/ed Conner 512MB hard drive and replaced
    it with my trusty old 8GB Quantum "Bigfoot" drive. I am using the machine as a
    terminal for the ADDS/NCR Mentor 2000 mainframe that I brought back from the
    dead earlier this year.

    This F54CD is now the second one I own (first was purchased brand-new, in 1995,
    at the long-defunct "Computer City" store in PDX.)

    Keep it real.

    MotoFox, Dec 29, 2010
  5. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    TRUSTY Quantum Bigfoot??? An oxymoron if there ever was one. The
    history behind the Bigfoot is telling, so I'll tell it.

    Way back when, Quantum experimented with a new technique for sputtering
    the magnetic oxide coating onto the material used to make the disks
    inside the drives. Lo and behold, the sputtering resulted in lots of
    defects in the magnetic media, so the capacity of 3.5" drives at the
    time was much diminished compared to the competition. Quantum's
    response was to build 5.25" Bigfoot drives, increasing the surface area
    on which bits could be written.

    Once, I mistakenly bought a number of surplus Bigfoot drives from Compaq
    just after they acquired DEC. I sold them as quickly as I could, the
    ones that worked... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 29, 2010
  6. Ben Myers

    MotoFox Guest

    Well, I currently own three Bigfoots, all salvaged from IBM Aptivas manufactured
    circa 1999, and haven't had one fail on me yet, although I suspect one of them
    is about ready to give up the ghost judging by some weird noises it's been
    making lately. I guess they must have come from a decent batch or something.

    Now, the "Fireball" drives Quantum introduced a few years later.....oi. Both of
    them that I had failled miserably within their first year!

    MotoFox, Dec 30, 2010
  7. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    All of which explains why Quantum is no longer a drive manufacturer.
    Maxtor bought them, a marriage of equals in product quality... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 30, 2010
  8. Ben Myers

    MotoFox Guest

    Tell me, then, what brand of hard drive are you using in your Packard Bell macines?

    If you say Western Digital, I will laugh dump-my-pants out loud. All of the
    various WD drives I have purchased brand new during the past several years have
    failled within the first few months of operation!

    MotoFox, Jan 4, 2011