LENOVO USB-1 or 2???

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Joseph Fenn, Mar 31, 2006.

  1. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    I have this new Lenovo laptop with WINXP/PRO. Have a 4 port USB hub
    plugged into one of its usb inputs and the external A-DR plugged
    into the other usb input slot. When I transfer data to external
    HD or CD-r/w drive, it works okay but says "useing USB at slow
    speed". Is it possible the Chinese put only a USB type 1
    capability on this machine with winxp/pro???
    The 4 port HUB says its a High Speed USB2 type hub and its
    powered with its own dc adapter. There must be somewhere in
    win/xp that deals with settings for the usb or that shows if its
    truly USB-1 or USB-2. Any tips on this odd thing would be
    appreciated.
    Joe

    * Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO SYSTEM*
    * Army MARS PRECEDED by AARS (Army Amateur Radio System) *
    * Hi State ARMY MARS COORDINATOR *

    Joseph Fenn, Mar 31, 2006

  2. Joseph Fenn

    J. Clarke Guest

    It would help if you said what model it was, but if it is a brand new
    machine "the Chinese" would have to make a special effort to _remove_ the
    USB2 capability that is built into the chipsets they use.

    J. Clarke, Apr 1, 2006

  3. No, it's not really possible. But are you sure that you have the
    updates to Windows XP that are required for USB2 support? The original
    version of XP did not support USB2, I think you needed at least SP1 or
    possibly SP2, plus drivers for the hardware. Any computer built
    certainly within the last year will have had USB2 hardware.

    [Actually, your error message is ONLY possible when the computer DOES
    support USB 2.]

    Barry Watzman, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Joseph Fenn

    Eric H Guest

    Maybe your external hard drive and CDRW only support USB 1

    Eric H, Apr 1, 2006
  5. Joseph Fenn

    Chris Hill Guest

    Try without the hub; it could be causing the problem.

    Chris Hill, Apr 1, 2006
  6. No, that message only comes up when a USB 2 device is operating at USB 1
    speeds.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 1, 2006
  7. Joseph Fenn

    Joseph Fenn Guest

    Maybe your external hard drive and CDRW only support USB 1No I have the new Maxtor 100 GB and its certainly USB compatible,
    and I have the BELKIN 4 port USB2 compatible hub too.
    So what elxe could it be other than the Chinese are short changeing
    us on their laptop features. Its a new one and was under warranty
    till last OCT and runs WINXP/Pro
    Joe

    Joseph Fenn, Apr 2, 2006
  8. If it was under warranty until Oct. 2005 then it was made in 2004 or
    before. It might have only had USB 1 ports. What is the model number
    and machine type.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 2, 2006
  9. The error message described comes from the EHCI (USB2 to you) port driver.
    A USB1 only computer will not issue it.

    There can be several reasons for the problem, but what happens is that the
    EHCI port has attempted to enumerate the device in the 480 Mb/s mode, but
    has discovered that the data stream is corrupt. It then hands control back
    to the OHCI (USB1) port, giving the reported error in the process. The most
    common reason is that the USB cable used is not up to the job of carrying
    high speed USB communications (and this can be the cable inside the
    computer). This can be the case if the cable is pre USB2 or has become
    damaged in some way.

    The Electric Fan Club, Apr 3, 2006
  10. Joseph Fenn

    zwsdotcom Guest

    Maybe so, but remember that a USB 2 port is a USB 1.1 port plus a USB 2
    port, with a silicon switch determining which one is connected to the
    device. Bad drivers could effectively disable the USB 2 capability.

    zwsdotcom, Apr 3, 2006
  11. Joseph Fenn

    J. Clarke Guest

    Which would mean that they rewrote the drivers that Intel or whoever else
    made the chipset provided for them. I can see IBM putting the effort into
    doing this _if_ the drivers provided were defective. I don't know if
    Lenovo is up to it. But I can't see a cost-driven company going to that
    kind of expense without a good reason.

    J. Clarke, Apr 3, 2006
  12. To add one point to that, my computer has a front USB port connected by
    a cable from the front port to the motherboard, and rear ports mounted
    directly on the motherboard. I have had reliability problems with the
    front port that I don't have when connecting the same device to the rear
    ports. So yes, a cable can be suspect, and it can be the cable from the
    motherboard to the USB socket.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 3, 2006
  13. Joseph Fenn

    Quaoar Guest

    Are you certain about the error message sourced *only* on USB2 hardware?
    I commonly receive the error on my USB 1.1 notebook using USB 2
    devices on WinXP SP2. I think WinXP SP2 generates the error.

    Quaoar, Apr 3, 2006
  14. Is the cable from the front ports to the motherboard a ribbon cable
    perchance? Normal ribbon cables will never work at 400 Mb/s, though it is
    possible to get short lengths to work by making sure that every other
    conductor is grounded (this is how the 80 conductor IDE disk drive cables
    work).

    The Electric Fan Club, Apr 4, 2006
  15. Yes, I am sure. AKAIK you should not get the error on a USB1 only computer.
    Having said that, there is always the possibility that the USB2 drivers have
    installed for some obscure reason (or the laptop manufacturer has
    bastardised the drivers), and that the error is issued whe the USB2 driver
    fails to enumerate the connected device, because there is no EHCI port.

    In normal operation, a USB2 device is initially detected as a USB1. The
    OHCI port asks if the device is USB2 and hands over control to the EHCI port
    (and associated driver). If the EHCI port fails to establish reliable
    communication (or any communication), it hands control back to the OHCI,
    issuing the error mesage. If there is no EHCI present, the OHCI should not
    ask the question or attempt to pass control.

    Also strictly, the USB ports on your laptop are USB1 *not* USB1.1. USB1.1
    was a revision that only affects peripheral devices.

    The Electric Fan Club, Apr 4, 2006
  16. No, this USB port is part of a flash memory card reader, it has 4 slots
    for about 12 types of flash memory cards plus a USB 2 port. It has two
    separate cables, which are round cables about 18" long and are suppoed
    to be USB 2 cables. One is for the slots in the card reader, and the
    other is for the USB 2 port.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 4, 2006
  17. I must be missing a post along the line somewhere, because I could not have
    worked that out from the posts that are visible. I was under the impresion
    that the USB port was one of the ports on a Lenovo laptop.

    The Electric Fan Club, Apr 5, 2006
  18. There was a side discussion of how, in desktops with front USB ports,
    the wiring from the USB socket to the motherboard can keep the port from
    working at USB 2 speeds

    Barry Watzman, Apr 5, 2006
  19. Joseph Fenn

    JHEM Guest

    I believe you'll also see that message, or similar, if you connect a USB1.1
    device to a USB2.0 port.

    JHEM, Apr 5, 2006
  20. I think I started that. But the bit about the FLASH memory reader was
    totally new to me. Oh well.

    The Electric Fan Club, Apr 6, 2006