    I can't find any information on how to access my cmos battery anywhere...could anyone be of assistance?

    Many thanks,

    Richard W

    rwatthers, Apr 30, 2013

  2. There's a stupidly big PDF of the service manual here:

    http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y480
    _y580_hmm_1st_edition_mar_2012_english.pdf

    I don't need the trouble of dealing with 10MB PDFs on my machine
    so I haven't opened it, but replacing the CMOS battery is
    usually a very early chapter in these things.

    Computer Nerd Kev, May 1, 2013

  3. Thanks Kev,i looked through this and another lenovo manual but nothing is mentioned anywhere with regards to accessing the battery.I'm a bit stuck as i need to change the battery in order to get the machine functioning correctly again.

    Cheers.

    Richard Watherstone, May 1, 2013
  4. rwatthers

    George Guest

    The CMOS battery is normally mounted to the main system board. It
    should be accessible via the Hard Disk/Memory/etc. compartment
    cover (1030, pg. 41) or by removing the keyboard (1080, pg. 48)
    and keyboard bezel (1090, pg. 51) to expose the top of the system
    board. All references are to procedures and pages in the above
    HMM.

    George, May 2, 2013
  5. rwatthers

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Good man George. It's good to see someone who isn't scared of a 'stupidly
    big' PDF file. Those HMMs take >10 seconds to d/l and open in another 5
    seconds in Foxit reader. They seem to cause 'trouble' for computer nerds for
    some reason. <shrug>
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, May 2, 2013
  6. Well, FWIW, pdf files and the associated readers have had some
    major security flaws lately. Carefully crafted pdf files can result in
    code injection exploits, stuff like that...

    the wharf rat, May 2, 2013
  7. rwatthers

    George Guest

    Which is why $DeityOfYourChoice invented antivirus software.

    George, May 2, 2013
  8. rwatthers

    George Guest

    [...]
    That must be the younger generation. This particular computer
    nerd started repairing avionics system components in 1970.

    George, May 2, 2013
  9. Yep I agree it takes ">10 seconds" to plop it off the interwebs.
    Doing the rough calculations here I find it would probably take
    about four times that long on my connection running full speed.
    Yes I know that is hardly an age, but I guess I wasn't feeling
    awfully inspired yesterday.
    Well my machine isn't really a powerhouse by today's standards,
    Firefox hung the first time I tried to open the file, so I
    stopped it loading. I could have downloaded it separately and
    opened it thereafter but didn't want to download 10MB again.
    I have a computer set up for the purposes I require of it.
    Downloading excessively large PDFs is an uncommon occurrence and
    one that most frustrates me in any case, as I know I would only
    look at a tiny portion of that data in a case like this.

    I could get on the upgrade train that the web inspires. The
    motherboard in the machine I'm using ten years old, back then I
    wouldn't be the only one complaining about a 10MB PDF. But I
    don't see why I should expend time and money in upgrading every
    few years just to make it slightly quicker to interact with
    parts of the web that I rarely use and find frustrating in
    principal anyway. In fact I'm here on Usenet mainly because I
    dislike the bloat and slowness of web forums.

    In any case, what I said was perfectly correct. If you feel your
    purpose here is to inspire everyone to devote themselves as much
    as possible to the good of the newsgroup, then good luck to you.

    Computer Nerd Kev, May 2, 2013
  10. rwatthers

    Bob_Villa Guest

    No offense...but it doesn't sound like you are "a nerd" Kev.
    I have a PC at work (P4 3Ghz,3Gb) that cooks...and it's 9 yrs old!

    Bob_Villa, May 2, 2013
  11. Well perhaps not by the general definition. I have a strong
    interest, but mainly in older computers from the last century.

    If you met me, I wouldn't blabber on about the latest forty
    core super CPU or the range of cloud storage options. I might
    however bore you to death by talking about the impact of the
    6502 or the history of GUI computer systems _before_ the
    macintosh.

    In any case, you're reading a bit more into my username than I
    really ever intended. :)
    Well my motherboard is actually from 2001, so I guess it's
    about 12 years old. It's a 1GHz Athlon, 512MB. My machine is a
    decent, just above mid-range machine from its time. I don't
    claim it's my newest/fastest PC (I have much more modern ones
    that I'm planning to sell), I just don't see the need to
    switch.

    That is a really good PC for 2004 though.

    Computer Nerd Kev, May 2, 2013
  12. rwatthers

    Bob_Villa Guest

    Maybe you a "nerd" like me...I wanted something for the WIFI at work (I need to document facility environmentals). An IT friend gave me this Dell 8400 and I had some memory (and SATA HDD) from a deceased Gateway (another friend gave me).
    In 2004 it sold with a system for $3000! It kicks ass...considering its age!

    Bob_Villa, May 2, 2013

  13. Anti virus programs aren't always effective against new exploits.
    Check out CVE-2013-0640 and CVE-2013-0641. Even setting the NX bit won't
    help because the exploit runs in executable stack space.

    the wharf rat, May 4, 2013
  14. rwatthers

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I find it odd in this day and age that you'd think twice about d/ling 10MB.
    I'm an invalid on welfare so hunted out the best value for money package as
    I have *zero* leeway with bill paying. Even so, in New Zealand (where teh
    webs are expensive relatively...) I get 17Mb download speed and 100GB/month
    allowance - which I'm lucky to use half of.
    I still find it odd to call 10MB 'excessively large'.
    My newest machine (my daily user) is a laptop (T60 ThinkPad) from 2007 that
    I bought second-hand in 2009. Hardly 'cutting-edge'. I too dislike (most)
    web-forums due to bloated interfaces and have been a usenetter for well over
    a decade - closer to two actually (my gods! where did the time go?).
    Nope, I just found that statement from someone who calls themself 'computer
    nerd' rather incongruous is all. <shrug>

    ~misfit~, May 5, 2013
  15. rwatthers

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yep, I'm just a whipper-snapper at 52 y/o (in a couple weeks). I didn't open
    a computer boxen until... 1990 I think it was. :)

    ~misfit~, May 5, 2013
  16. That's more like it. In fact for fun, last time I wanted a
    WiFi laptop I tried to use a twenty year old Toshiba T1910CS
    with a 33MHz 486 and 8MB RAM. Almost worked, but there was
    some strange incompatibility with the particular router I
    wanted to use it with. Works well elsewhere though (as long as
    you like text mode web browsing, that is).

    Computer Nerd Kev, May 6, 2013
  17. Well it's for the sake of looking at a few of the pages for a
    minute or two at the most. I suppose my objection is mainly
    ideological. On the other hand, I avoid Youtube videos like
    the plague, so perhaps it's more download paranoia.

    Still in both cases I would be a lot happier with a simple no-
    nonsense webpage with links allowing you to select what needs
    to be downloaded.

    Computer Nerd Kev, May 6, 2013
  18. rwatthers

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, but if someone owns said model of laptop there's a good chance they'll
    need the rest of it sometime.
    I had the same thing until a year or two ago when it became affordable to
    have an ISP plan that left so much headroom I started using it....
    That would be very complicated for Lenovo to run though. This way they
    provide all of the info the owner of a certain laptop will ever need in a
    single 'download once' package. No need to be on-line to access it (which
    bugs me no end - is it Dell who do it like that? Really annoying if I don't
    have said laptop on-line yet...).

    Also though, if you want more detail Lenovo has individual streaming video
    service guides for removal of various parts - including parts like the LCD
    display. (They re-arranged their website recently so I can't give you a link
    as an example - mine are broken now.)

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2013
  19. Sure. I keep Service Manual PDFs for most of my laptops, where
    they are available. For me though, that's a different situation
    to what this was. I provided the link for the laptop owner.
    Of course. Plus these things aren't really meant for owners
    anyway, rather for your local authorised serviceman at the
    computer shop. Lenovo are good, they put the service manuals on
    their site. On the other hand Toshiba won't even let you put
    them up on your own server:
    http://www.tim.id.au/blog/2012/11/10/toshiba-laptop-service-
    manuals-and-the-sorry-state-of-copyright-law/

    If through some form of divine intervention, witchcraft or
    whatever, I ended up with a say on how these things were
    published, I would want a PDF of the document sent to the
    servicemen _and_ a HTML version. It won't happen. Unless the
    world comes under a CNK dictatorship, that is.
    Sure, I'd never want the PDF version to go away. If they did
    that, I'd be saving the webpages to disk (for laptops that I
    own).
    Hmm, from big PDFs to videos. Things aren't really getting any
    better for me. Still, I'm glad Lenovo are making the effort for
    people doing repairs themselves, I wondered if this approach was
    only going to be short-term as the IBM influence faded away.

    Computer Nerd Kev, May 7, 2013
  20. rwatthers

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I too am very impressed that Lenovo are still doing this. I know they're
    doing it for their ThinkPad range (IBM put some binding long-term clauses in
    the contract for buying the ThinkPad brand), I don't think though that
    Lenovo do it for all of their non-ThinkPad laptops.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, May 7, 2013