    The loudness control was frozen.

    Machine refused to restart had to hit panic button for shut down and
    then reboot.

    Walter Bushell, Aug 27, 2009

  2. Walter Bushell

    David Empson Guest

    By which you mean the right half of the "menu bar".
    Most of the system-wide items in the right half of the menu bar are
    implemented by a process called SystemUIServer. If that process dies or
    hangs, you lose access to all the "standard" icons. I'm not sure whether
    the Spotlight menu is managed by SystemUIServer - evidence suggests it
    is somewhat independent.

    Some third party applications which add menus in that area do it via
    another method which doesn't directly involve SystemUIServer. These
    menus are always on the left of the ones managed by SystemUIServer, and
    can't be shifted or deleted using the Command key. (For example, I have
    Little Snitch and Brother Control Centre in that area.)
    Could have been something lower level which killed more than just
    SystemUIServer, and the shutdown/restart mechanism wasn't able to kill
    whatever else had a problem.

    Your system log (in the Console utility) around the time of the hang and
    attempted restart may provide some clues as to what was going on.

    David Empson, Aug 27, 2009