    later and the computer was off all night. Many people say permissions
    don't even matter under Tiger but I wonder if its more important for
    them to be "right" under Leopard?

    JZ, Nov 14, 2008

  2. JZ

    JZ Guest

    After 15 minutes working away, it only corrected these 2:

    Group differs on "private/etc/cups", should be 0, group is 26.

    Permissions differ on "Library", should be drwxrwxr-t , they are
    drwxrwxr-x"

    JZ, Nov 14, 2008

  3. JZ

    Nick Naym Guest

    These are "non-errors." See
    <http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8138338>.

    Nick Naym, Nov 14, 2008
  4. Why are you repairing permissions? What problem are you having?

    Dave Balderstone, Nov 15, 2008
  5. JZ

    JZ Guest

    I thought it was good maintenance; since its so easy I thought if
    there's a chance it will offset problems in the future, so be it.
    Though I know many knowledgeable users never bother.

    So did anybody else notice how much longer Leopard permissions take to
    repair compared to Tiger?

    JZ, Nov 16, 2008
  6. So you're using it in much the same way OS 9 and earlier users rebuilt
    the desktop? To no good purpose and out of complete ignorance?
    I don't remember the last time I repaired permissions, as I simply
    don't experience problems that such an act would fix. Not on my
    personal Macs, nor on the Macs I deal with at work.

    So, no. I have not noticed any difference.

    Dave Balderstone, Nov 16, 2008
  7. JZ

    Király Guest

    I always do it after installing any third party software that uses an
    installer application. Some boneheaded developers write installers that
    change permissions of system files and don't set them back. This
    normally does not cause any obvious problems, but it can create security
    holes. I remember one such app installer making /Library and
    /Applications writable by non-administrators. A permission repair fixed
    it.

    Granted, this was more widespread in the early days of OS X as
    developers were just beginning to write for the new OS. There seem to
    be far fewer of these kinds of problems nowadays.

    Király, Nov 16, 2008
  8. JZ

    JZ Guest

    So I guess nobody knows why Leopard permissions take 10 times as long to
    repair as Tiger permissions?

    JZ, Nov 17, 2008
  9. JZ

    Ian Gregory Guest

    I have this recollection that shortly after Leopard was released I read
    an explanation of why doing the permissions voodoo was slow, or
    sometimes slow, or appeared to be slow. I seem to remember that the
    explanation made sense at the time, but despite spending twenty minutes
    with Google I have not been able to find it. Did I imagine it?

    Fortunately it is not something I do so it doesn't bother me. I agree
    with the poster who does it after installing third party apps that
    require admin and run an installer script because you never know how
    they might have borked file permissions. I may have one app on my
    machine that fits into that category but I will try to avoid installing
    any more.

    If my installation ever develops a problem that I can't diagnose but
    which seems like it might be related to incorrect file permissions then
    I guess I would try the voodoo, and if it takes a long time it takes a
    long time.

    Ian

    Ian Gregory, Nov 17, 2008
  10. JZ

    Jolly Roger Guest

    Or nobody cares - probably because they don't run it regularly.

    Jolly Roger, Nov 17, 2008
  11. JZ

    Nick Naym Guest

    Rather than agonize and become distracted by it, why not spend $10 on
    "Macaroni" (http://www.atomicbird.com/macaroni) -- it runs routine OS X
    maintenance automatically at night. You might also get the freebie
    "MainMenu" (http://www.santasw.com/), which enables you to quickly do the
    same at will, conveniently from the menu bar.

    Nick Naym, Nov 17, 2008
  12. JZ

    JZ Guest

    I was just thinking that I should run it occasionally, automatically and
    never give it another thought. But thanks for reaffirming that! :)

    JZ, Nov 17, 2008
  13. JZ

    Nick Naym Guest

    Take a look at "Onyx" and "Maintenance" (see
    <http://www.titanium.free.fr/index_us.html>). They're free and I believe
    they can do things automatically. (Not sure how they work, but one or both
    may prove to be a free alternative to "Macaroni").

    Nick Naym, Nov 17, 2008
  14. JZ

    JZ Guest

    I was just thinking that I should run it occasionally, automatically and
    Fair enough. If it can't hurt its probably best to do it once in a
    while. I'll just integrate it into a maintenance routine along with
    backing stuff up.

    JZ, Nov 17, 2008
  15. What? What?

    Do you plunge your head into ice water "once in a while"?

    Do you shave all the hair off your body "once in a while"?

    Do you randomly put dimes into mailboxes across your town "once in a
    while"?

    Do you cover your house roof in shaving cream "once in a while"?

    If not, you should!

    After all, if it can't hurt it's probably best to do it once in a while.

    Dave Balderstone, Nov 18, 2008
  16. JZ

    Nick Naym Guest

    I do.

    No...I do it every day. That's why I shower so often. ;)

    Nick Naym, Nov 18, 2008
  17. JZ

    JZ Guest

    If it can't hurt its probably best to do it once in a
    The difference is many people still recommend it. And I don't believe
    anybody recommends shaving all the hair off your body. Slight
    difference. If its easy, and there are no side effects, and its
    recommended by some, I'll do it. Does that sound logical? Unless some
    people think repairing permissions can degrade your OS in some way?
    Never read that yet.

    JZ, Nov 18, 2008
  18. Many people still recommend massive doses of vitamin C to prevent
    cancer. Yet, while it does no harm, clinical trials show it doesn't
    prevent cancer, either.
    Know any competitive swimmers?
    Some? Not many?
    Not one bit.
    Nope. Some people, no, make that MANY people, think that except for
    very specific situations it's a complete waste of time.
    You've never read that standing in the rain reciting dadaist poetry
    will degrade the tires on your car, either.

    Knock yourself out.

    Dave Balderstone, Nov 18, 2008
  19. Actually, it can and probably will kill you.
    They can hurt, in the bank account.
    If that's the look you're going for, it can't hurt.

    -- Michelle (just being a contrarian today, because I feel like it. <g>)

    Michelle Steiner, Nov 18, 2008
  20. JZ

    Nick Naym Guest

    Only today?? ;)