Less than 4GB memory supported in an ASUS P5AD2 Premium mainboard?

Discussion in 'Intel' started by KB, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. KB

    KB Guest

    Hello,

    I installed Samsung four DDR2-1GB on an ASUS P5AD2 Premium, and
    upgraded the firmware from version 1009 to 1010.
    The BIOS screen shows only 3328MB, not 4096MB or something around 4000MB.
    Then, if one of the four 1GB modules is detached, the screen
    shows 3072MB, a correct value.

    According to page 2-12 of the ASUS manual, "... the system may detect
    less than 4GB system memory ...". The technical service at ASUS
    replied to me like
    "... the system may only detect a size between 3GB and 4GB, because of
    memory allocation for the devices in your system per PCI specificaton. ..."

    What is going on here? The difference is simply too large.
    Is there any solution? Thanks.

    KB

    KB, Apr 26, 2005

  2. I think ASUS' explanation is about as clear as it can be. Your system
    can address up to an absolute maximum of 4GB of memory. The memory sticks
    you have put into your system are not the only memory it has. Your video
    card, for example, has memory on it. Various PCI devices may map some of
    their memory.

    768MB is a pretty large value. You may be able to reduce this amount by
    changing your video card or messing with BIOS settings. You mentioned that
    you upgraded the BIOS. Did this change anything?

    DS

    David Schwartz, Apr 26, 2005

  3. KB

    KB Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    Upgrading the firmware does not change anything. My video card (the only
    interface card) is a ATI X300 128MB PCI-Express.
    If you have any idea, please tell me how I can reduce 768MB

    KB, Apr 27, 2005