lga 775 +intel540 with Thermal grease ???

Discussion in 'Intel' started by francois, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. francois

    francois Guest

    hi

    i would like to know if it really necessary to use Heat sink paste
    Injector on intel processor (540)
    with socket lga775
    In this url gigabyte say not , use it only with socket 478 !
    http://america.giga-byte.com/DeskTop/FileList/Manual/manual_gh-pcu22-se_m.pdf
    page 10 # page 11
    In this other url intel say not :
    ftp://download.intel.com/support/processors/sb/install775.pdf

    thx for help me and excuse for my very bad english

    configuration

    intel 540
    asus p5ad2 premium

    cooler
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Peripherals/Products/Products_GH-PCU22-SE (3D Rocket Cooler).htm

    francois, Nov 30, 2004

  2. francois

    Bob Bailin Guest

    If you are using a boxed Intel processor that comes with a fan/heatsink, DO NOT
    use thermal paste. There is a thermal pad on the bottom of the heatsink that takes
    the place of thermal paste.

    If you ever have to remove the fan/heatsink, you should replace the thermal pad
    with a new one, available directly from Intel at http://shop.intel.com , or you may
    use a high-quality thermal paste (the cheap stuff is just not adequate).

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Nov 30, 2004

  3. francois

    francois Guest

    francois, Dec 1, 2004
  4. francois

    Bob Bailin Guest

    A recent article at Tom's Hardware:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041103/index.html

    seems to show that aftermarket LGA775 P4 fan/heatsinks perform no better than the one that
    comes with the retail box version of the Intel CPU.

    The thermal pad sticks to the bottom of the heatsink and can be peeled off.
    The thermal pad had thermal grease on it already, don't add more.
    The thermal pad doesn't stick to the processor, but some of the grease will remain.

    Bob

    Bob Bailin, Dec 1, 2004