Libretto 110 battery won't charge, need new? Test?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by abandonedbrain, Apr 26, 2005.

  1. Hi there.

    I inherited a Toshiba Libretto 110 PC a year ago. Great computer for
    reading PDF eBooks on the couch, running 98SE with 64MB, even has the
    dock with it. However, the battery will not hold a second of charge.

    When first plugging the unit into AC, the battery-charging light goes
    amber, then after about 15 seconds turns green. This is the case even
    if the machine sits on the shelf for three months.

    Windows detects the battery, and says it shows 100% charged.

    If I pull the plug while running, the machine turns off without even a
    half-second wait. So the PC is getting absolutely NO power from the
    battery.

    Is there an easy way I can test to see if the Li-Ion battery is truly
    bad? I know some Toshibas and Compaqs have a program you can run off a
    boot floppy to test the batteries, doing a full discharge/recharge. Is
    there a similar utility which will run on the Libretto 100/110?

    There was, according to the original owner, no degradation of available
    power, it just stopped working one day, so I don't think it's a single
    bad cell. However, I'm not a battery tech, so... :)

    I have a multimeter, but don't know which "blade" in the battery
    connection to test. Anyone know for sure? I'd hate to buy a new battery
    off eBay only to find the same problem as the original, and blow $60!

    TIA!
    Dan

    abandonedbrain, Apr 26, 2005

  2. abandonedbrain

    larwe Guest

    I have a multimeter, but don't know which "blade" in the battery
    battery

    It's usually the outer two. However to be sure of what's going on you
    really need to crack the battery and measure each cell individually.
    This symptom could be from over-discharge physically damaging the
    cells, or it could be a smart battery problem.

    larwe, Apr 26, 2005

  3. abandonedbrain

    Albert Wong Guest

    if you are not tech. then buy another one.

    if you are a tech.
    www.fixup.net
    you will find a lot of mods for the libby 100/110, including an external
    battery. I made one that lasted 4-5 hrs. (lead acid gel)

    Albert Wong, Apr 26, 2005
  4. abandonedbrain

    Kenneth Wolf Guest

    If you get tired of fooling with the Libretto, let me know if you want to
    sell it. I'm interested.

    Kenneth Wolf, Apr 28, 2005