Lies, Damn Lies & September Statistics

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Martin, Oct 1, 2004.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Newsgroup: comp.sys.mac.system
    Analysis of: September
    Run date: Friday, October 1, 2004 11:07:49 am
    Processing time: 10 seconds

    Article count: 3643

    Top Ten Authors:
    165 Michelle Steiner <>
    95 Gregory Weston <>
    65 George Williams <>
    52 (JonesR)
    52 Tom Harrington <>
    46 Wes Groleau <>
    45 Steven Fisher <>
    43 (Tacit)
    41 Gunner <>
    39 John <>

    Top Ten Subjects:
    272 Are Apple Notebooks Made in the USA ?
    100 "Zero viruses" ad campaign?
    73 I Hate PCs, Windows, Grrr
    70 Backing Up -- Retrospect vs. SuperDuper!
    62 GODDAMMIT, APPLE!
    55 Who still uses a 68K?
    54 Problem with the new iMac
    42 Has Microsoft stoped developing for the Mac?
    36 Question about new iMac and wireless keyboard/mouse
    35 Why does Apple phase out pre X users?

    Top Ten Busy Days:
    195 Thursday, September 9, 2004
    176 Thursday, September 30, 2004
    171 Sunday, September 19, 2004
    168 Thursday, September 2, 2004
    164 Wednesday, September 1, 2004
    161 Wednesday, September 8, 2004
    135 Friday, September 3, 2004
    126 Monday, September 6, 2004
    114 Wednesday, September 15, 2004
    110 Monday, September 13, 2004

    Top Ten Agents:
    918 MT-NewsWatcher/3.4 (PPC
    227 Thoth/1.7.2 (Carbon/OS
    137 *Microsoft Outlook
    132 Hogwasher/4.1.1
    129 Mozilla Thunderbird
    117 Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh;
    117 MacSOUP/2.6.1 (Mac
    109 MT-NewsWatcher/3.1 (PPC)
    100 *Forte Agent
    99 Thoth/1.7.1 (Carbon/OS

    Unique contributors: 753
    Winner of the random choice prize: (Victor Eijkhout)

    Longest post:
    6561 lines on the subject "Re: Mac OSX software list" posted by Doc
    O'Leary <>

    Martin, Oct 1, 2004

  2. Ah, a nice comfortable second.

    Gregory Weston, Oct 1, 2004

  3. I probably would have made 2nd, but I had to waste several days
    working on the truck, painting the deck, etc. ad nauseum ;-)

    George Williams, Oct 1, 2004
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Entourage isn't, the posts were probabably made using Outlook.

    The asterisk denotes that the headers did not have a "User-Agent:"
    field, so the script retrieves the app name from the "X-Mailer" header.

    Martin, Oct 1, 2004
  5. Martin

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    My understanding is that Microsoft has produced Entourage, Outlook Express,
    and Outlook, and that Entourage and Outlook Express have been Macintosh only
    applications and that Outlook is a Windows only application.

    I'll be happy to be corrected!

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft, Oct 1, 2004
  6. Here's the correction: There's also an Outlook for Mac, latest (and final(
    version Outlook 2001 (before that it was 8.2.2). It is available only to
    people on Exchange Server, as a free download. It is Classic-only and will
    never be upgraded to OS X native: Entourage has taken over as MS's OS X
    Exchange client (as of version 10.1.4 and later, including 2004). You can
    find more details on the Mactopia website <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/>

    HOWEVER, neither Outlook Mac NOR Outlook Windows (any version) is a news
    client. (There is a way in some versions of Outlook Windows to access
    newsreading from Outlook Express Windows, which can read and send news
    articles.) So this list everyone is quoting is inaccurate in all regards.

    What's may be happening is this: the news posts which have no "User-Agent:"
    header but which supposedly contain "Microsoft Outlook" in some other header
    are actually coming from a web-based browser client run on Microsoft's
    web-site. One version of this is:

    for example. It reads that way even when sent by someone on a mac accessing
    the Microsoft news web browser in Safari. I suspect that these are being
    lumped with other posts (maybe even from Outlook Express for Mac, also a
    Classic-only app). In any case, something imprecise is going on.

    Is there really no separate entry for Entourage?

    --
    Paul Berkowitz
    MVP MacOffice

    Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
    ignored.

    PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
    **2004**, X or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
    otherwise.

    Paul Berkowitz, Oct 1, 2004
  7. Martin

    Chris Ridd Guest

    All right then ;-)

    Outlook Express exists for Windows and Mac OS (pre-OS X), and is free.
    Outlook exists for Windows, and is part of Office. Entourage exists for Mac
    OS, and is part of Office.

    Cheers,

    Chris

    Chris Ridd, Oct 1, 2004
  8. 3643 articles, 753 contributors, and 2085 agents. Are there ~1500 posts
    that failed to provide an agent/use another one?

    David J Richardson, Oct 2, 2004
  9. Martin

    Martin Guest

    I posted the "top ten", there are lots of agents (or rather different
    release versions) with less than 99 posts. There are also lots of posts
    in this ng that are made without agent or x-newsreader headers. The
    script records these with two asterisks and the author name - but I
    don't think that anybody is much interested in me posting stats that
    would be over a thousand lines long :-(

    If you're interested, there are big differences between this ng and
    uk.comp.sys.mac agents:

    Article count 5795

    Top Ten Agents:
    2668 MacSOUP/2.x.x
    390 *Microsoft Outlook Express
    292 Microsoft-Entourage/11.0.0.040405
    241 Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U;
    212 Shroedinger's Newsreader
    280 MT-NewsWatcher/3.x
    115 Hogwasher/4.1.1
    111 Thoth/1.7.2 (Carbon/OS X)
    92 Microsoft-Entourage/10.1.4.030702.0
    69 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
    68 Pan/0.14.2 (This is

    (There are actually 11 in the list, but Mozilla for Windows doesn't
    count...)

    I'm and MT-NewsWatcher user myself. But, as a Brit, I'm in a bit of a
    minority because MacSOUP is so dominant among the prolific posters to
    that ng.

    Martin, Oct 2, 2004
  10. Do those using google.com get their user-agent recorded?
    I didn't see Safari or any of the geek browsers in
    the list.

    George Williams, Oct 2, 2004
  11. Because it was stats for news readers, not browsers.

    John McWilliams, Oct 2, 2004