    However, my computer, p2b-ds, seems to be working ok. It is funny because
    the cable boxes on the tv were unaffected but the cable modem was . . .

    -g

    Geoff, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Geoff

    milleron Guest

    My condolences. The gas line bursting and igniting is off-the-wall
    strange! How much damage did the fire do? I deduce that your house
    didn't burn down.

    This should never happen, though. A high-quality whole-house surge
    protector could have prevented all this damage and loss. They are
    MUCH less expensive that the costs you'll incur here -- i.e., probably
    less than the insurance deductible. Just as important, a whole-house
    surge protector would have saved you the strike against your insurance
    record. Call your electrician pronto.

    As effective as these devices are, I don't understand why local
    building codes don't require them in all new residential construction.

    Ron

    milleron, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Geoff

    Old Bugger Guest

    Mot that uncommon. The exact same thing happened in a Sydney, Australia suburb a few months ago.

    Old Bugger, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Geoff

    Mercury Guest

    My sisters house got zapped a while back - not directly, up the road, but
    more than close enough. Fried everything including several computers,
    electronics etc.

    That's 65ml north west of Syndey too, right in where they had the bad fires
    a while back - they were evacuated and some neighbours houses went up in
    flames...

    Mercury, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Geoff

    signmeuptoo Guest

    Every home should have a passive electrnic lighting/surge arrestor.

    Delta makes them. If you do a web search you will find them. I recommend
    the four lead models, with the separate ground lead, so that you can run an
    isolated ground wire right to your own ground post, that enhances the
    protection.

    http://www.deltala.com/products.htm

    signmeuptoo, Jun 10, 2005