    It can't be a Dell. Dell refuses to provide full-coverage warranties
    in my state :(.

    Gwen

    Gwen Morse, Oct 3, 2004

  2. Re: "It can't be a Dell. Dell refuses to provide full-coverage
    warranties in my state :(."

    The reason for that, in case you wondered, is that your state classifies
    these as "insurance" rather than "warranties", and requires anyone
    selling them to be licensed in your state as an "insurance" company, and
    anyone selling them has to be a "LICENSED insurance agent" and so on.

    It turns out, this is no minor deal, in fact it's a rather big deal, and
    it's unlikely that you will be able to purchase such a policy from any
    other vendor either, for the same reasons (Toshiba doesn't sell their
    "systemguard" policies in the same states that Dell won't sell
    warranties in for he same reasons). So you might as well put Dell back

    Barry Watzman, Oct 3, 2004

  3. Gwen Morse

    Dan Koren Guest

    Or move out of state ;-)

    Just out of curiosity,
    which state is it?

    dk

    Dan Koren, Oct 3, 2004

  4. Don't know what you consider to be 'lightweight'. To me, anything over 5
    pounds is heavy.

    Anyway, take a look at the ThinkPad T Series, for which you can get the
    Ultrabay Slim 2nd HDD adapter for an additional hard drive.

    The T series is supposed to be Linux friendly, but I don't have any personal
    experience.

    JL

    Johnnie Leung, Oct 3, 2004
  5. The reason for that, in case you wondered, is that your state classifies
    FL is one that I know has this odd kind of law.

    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Gwen Morse

    Gwen Morse Guest

    That's patently untrue. My husband was able to purchase (and has had
    repairs made under) his Toshiba full-coverage plan. Whether it was
    named "insurance" rather than "warranty", I couldn't answer. But, he
    bought a plan that covers any sort of damage (accidental, hardware
    failure, spills, etc) through Toshiba (not a third party) and they
    honor it. He bought it in the same state (NY).

    To add insult to injury, Dell repair staff have hidden behind the
    argument "You ought to have bought a Complete Care plan" when refusing
    to honor my warranty for legitimate hardware failures. I was able to
    find a reasonably-priced outside repair facility to get the work done,
    but, it doesn't change that I ought to have not HAD to.

    Given that they refuse to sell me the only plan under which they'll do
    any major servicing, I see no reason to buy from them.

    Gwen Morse, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Gwen Morse

    Gwen Morse Guest

    Lighter than my Inspiron 8200 (which to be honest I don't know the
    weight specs on, but, it's classified as a "Desktop replacement").
    Thanks, this looks reasonably nice and in my tentative price range.

    The next question is...would I have to sacrifice less weight or the
    extra drive to get a better video card? It's just not possible on the
    "T" system, but, on a competitive model from another manufacturer?
    Most new systems reasonably are, the biggest issues are with winmodems
    (which I thanfully don't have to use) and wireless cards (for which
    there are more linux drivers or windows drivers that work under
    wrappers every day). But, I thought I ought to throw it in there "just
    in case" :).

    Gwen

    Gwen Morse, Oct 3, 2004
  8. Gwen Morse

    Gwen Morse Guest

    New York. Toshiba sold my husband a full-coverage plan, so, I doubt I
    have to go to that extreme (moving out).

    If I kick my husband out and he moves to another state, can he get a
    contract in that state and mail the laptop to me?

    *grin*

    Gwen

    Gwen Morse, Oct 3, 2004
  9. The Gateway 450 allows a second hard drive instead of the optical
    drive. But I think that the IBM T series is a better deal since you
    buy just the Ultrabay adapter and then get whatever 2.5-inch, 12.5-mm
    high drive you want.

    Steven Scharf, Oct 5, 2004