    web, such as this, I have to use the "normal" entry pad.

    Is there something else out there I should be looking at?

    All ideas and suggestions welcome.

    Derek Erb, Oct 13, 2006

  2. Derek Erb

    terri Guest

    A program needs to be aware of ink input. If it isn't, then no matter
    whether you're using RitePen or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, you'll need to
    use the input panel.

    Developers will hopefully start making more and more programs ink aware.
    --
    Terri Stratton
    Microsoft Featured Community

    terri, Oct 13, 2006

  3. Are you using Firefox? Does it work in IE?

    Josh Einstein, Oct 13, 2006
  4. Derek Erb

    Derek Erb Guest

    I am using MSIE 7 (Vista).

    I also tried with MSIE 6 and XP Tablet PC Edition.

    Apparently Microsoft, in it's infinite wisdom, has not (yet?) made IE
    "ink aware".

    That said I have found very few programs that I use to be "ink aware"
    thereby making the interest of ritePen (or an equivalent) rather minor.

    I do not use my Tablet to write a long document in Word or even a long
    e-mail in text in Outlook. I have a normal PC for that or I hook my
    Tablet slate up to its docking station and use a normal keyboard and
    mouse for that.

    However I was hoping to be able to browse Internet sites, where I use
    more and more Web2-style applications such as this here Google group
    interface, and enter basic text without going through the very slow
    input panel which also takes up a huge amount of screen real estate.

    ;-(

    Derek Erb, Oct 14, 2006
  5. Derek Erb

    Chris H. Guest

    Internet Explorer is "ink aware" but not all web sites are, Derek. What
    you're basically talking about is web sites and web hosting which supports
    certain functionalities, not a lack thereof in IE.

    Chris H., Oct 14, 2006
  6. Derek Erb

    Desz Guest

    I do not understand your problem. I am using ritepen now to reply to
    your question. I am using firefox as my browser. I cannot tell you if
    it works in IE.

    Desz, Oct 14, 2006
  7. Derek Erb

    Derek Erb Guest

    Thanks for the info Chris.

    As a web site developer how do I make my TextInput fields in my Forms
    "ink aware"?

    Derek Erb, Oct 14, 2006
  8. Derek Erb

    Derek Erb Guest

    Desz,

    I haven't installed Firebox (yet) on my Tablet PC which is running
    Vista.

    Do you not have this problem with ritePen when using MSIE (which you
    obviously avoid).

    ;-)

    Derek Erb, Oct 14, 2006
  9. Derek Erb

    Chris H. Guest

    :cool: You'd need to check the microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc.developer
    newsgroup for additional information, Derek. This newsgroup is for basic
    user issues, and they're into the dev/programming sector over there.

    Chris H., Oct 14, 2006
  10. Derek Erb

    Desz Guest

    Here we go Derek, I am now responding with ritepen in IE 7. I hope
    this helps. There is a forum for ritepen. If you search for the
    Evernote forum you will find help topics for ritepen.

    Btw, are you inking outside the box? I am writing on the side of the
    form window. Try that. Insert your pen (cursor) inside the form, and
    write on the outside of the form. The text will appear inside the
    form.

    Desz, Oct 15, 2006
  11. Hi Derek, I just want to clarify some information in this thread because I
    think you and Chris might be miscommunicating a bit. If I understand
    correctly, you are trying to use RitePen to use "write anywhere" to convert
    to text. If this is the case, there is nothing that needs to be done in IE
    or any web sites to make it "ink-aware". In fact, applications that were
    never developed with Tablet PC in mind (even apps developed before Tablet PC
    was available) are supposed to work fine with ink to text. It sounds like
    RitePen is having some type of particular problem with IE for whatever
    reason.

    But to be 100% clear - there is NOTHING you need to do in any web site to
    make it "ink-aware" unless that web site wants to allow you to write ink
    directly on the web page (meaning aside from the TIP, aside from "write
    anywhere", etc). Such web sites are extremely rare and usually just
    experiments done by tablet enthusiasts. In my opinion "ink on the web" is
    pretty useless.

    Josh Einstein, Oct 16, 2006
  12. Derek Erb

    Derek Erb Guest

    I feel pretty silly.

    But 1still can't get it to work in IE.

    I click on the text field here. When I click outside the field my
    cursor becomes a hand and I can't write (with or without ritePen).

    MSIE 7 Bug?

    User ignorance?

    Derek Erb, Oct 19, 2006
  13. Do you have panning mode on in IE7? What happens if you turn it off?

    Josh Einstein, Oct 19, 2006