Linux along with Windows booted from USB Stick (Co-existence of Linux& Windows)

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by karthikbalaguru, Jan 4, 2010.

  1. Hi,
    I need Windows for certain applications
    and Linux for certain other applications.
    But, the computer currently has only
    Linux(Ubuntu Destop version - 9.10) on it.
    I do not wish to disturb the Linux installed
    on it. So, i am trying to have Windows via
    USB stick !! :)

    I am following the below steps for
    Windows XP from USB stick -
    http://www.winusb.de/index_en.html
    (Windows XP is booted from USB Stick)

    But,
    I understand that by the above method
    we can have the Windows XP booted
    up from the USB Stick and Windows
    XP will be using entire RAM :-(

    But, i would like to have Linux also !
    Is it possible to have Linux and Windows
    simulataneously so that i can switch
    between Linux & Windows ?

    Any ideas ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Jan 4, 2010

  2. Use a virtual machine instead. VirtualBox is free.

    Shenan Stanley, Jan 4, 2010

  3. karthikbalaguru

    Rich Webb Guest

    Wine. Or at least, a mention that the current Wine release was tried and
    didn't work for the particular app(s). It's not 100% but I've been
    surprised at some of the apps that it does support.

    Rich Webb, Jan 4, 2010
  4. karthikbalaguru

    Henning Guest

    Install Xp in VirtualBox?

    /Henning

    Henning, Jan 4, 2010
  5. wine works for about 1% of apps, badly

    VMware or virtual box is a lot better.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jan 4, 2010
  6. So is Vmware. Pretty much rock solid for me here. used daily.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jan 4, 2010
  7. Clarification: VMware Player and VMware Server are free. VMware Workstation
    will cost you.

    Either work fantastically. Either is better than dual-booting/booting from
    USB/booting from CD or DVD/using something like WINE, IMHO.

    Shenan Stanley, Jan 4, 2010
  8. Fantastic? No. screen and cursors is a tad slow, and networking is a
    fair bit slower than a native windows.

    But its good enough for what I do. CAD work mainly.

    The Natural Philosopher, Jan 4, 2010
  9. Well - on my quad core processor system with 8GB memory and 64-bit base OS -
    it works great with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 virtual
    machines... Guess it is all relative.

    If the screen and cursors are slow? Sounds like a driver issue (guest
    additions for virtualbox and vmware tools for vmware usually help those
    things) or lack of actual physical resources (memory/processor.)

    Shenan Stanley, Jan 4, 2010
  10. karthikbalaguru

    Dombo Guest

    Shenan Stanley schreef:
    Provided you have plenty of RAM memory (and a Windows XP license). If
    you have, a virtual machine is definitely the way to go.

    Dombo, Jan 4, 2010
  11. TRY DUAL BOOTING BETWEEN WINDOWS XP AND UBUNTU 9.10 USING WUBI.EXE!

    Kevin John Panzke, Jan 5, 2010
  12. karthikbalaguru

    Rich Webb Guest

    Probably true. But I'd like to see a citation for that 1%, badly,
    assertion.

    Rich Webb, Jan 5, 2010
  13. karthikbalaguru

    Henning Guest

    Try running the dotnet flamework.

    /Henning

    Henning, Jan 5, 2010
  14. karthikbalaguru

    Dave Nadler Guest

    Can any of you guys recommend a utility to snapshot an existing XP
    machine into a VM image, where the utility is run on the existing XP
    machine ?

    Thanks in advance,
    Best Regards, Dave

    Dave Nadler, Jan 5, 2010
  15. VMware has a converter (p2v, etc) that does a good job.
    http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/get.html

    You can also utilize your favorite imaging utility to do it (I've used
    several in the past to make a drive image and apply it to a virtual machine
    drive.)

    Shenan Stanley, Jan 5, 2010
  16. I doubt that can be done, as a full copy of the drive is required. You
    cannot make a useful copy of the drive while it's being updated by the
    running xp system.

    If you provide more info on what you are trying to accomplish, and what
    hardware you have available, perhaps another solution can be found.

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    David W. Hodgins, Jan 5, 2010
  17. VMware converter can do it and if you have the right setup - remotely. ;-)

    Shenan Stanley, Jan 5, 2010
  18. karthikbalaguru

    Dave Nadler Guest

    There are a number of utilities that can do this.
    I was hoping for recommendations. I have Acronis
    (which can do this) but it wants a license for each
    machine. Other utilities don't seem to be reliable...
    I'm going to try

    Best Regards, Dave

    a license for each machine

    Dave Nadler, Jan 5, 2010
  19. karthikbalaguru

    Dave Nadler Guest

    Dave Nadler, Jan 5, 2010
  20. A very big list is present in the below link-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_virtual_machines
    It contains GPL versions also.

    Lot of flavours :-(,
    But, which is the best freely available platform
    virtual machine ?

    Karthik Balaguru

    karthikbalaguru, Jan 8, 2010