Linux user: please support hardware vendors whith good Linux suppor.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by AnonymousFC4, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. AnonymousFC4

    AnonymousFC4 Guest

    This is a repost: Original post on alt.os.linux.suse
    Subject: SUSE 10.0 NVIDIA: how to enable 3D -- temporary conclusions --
    ==
    I think the Linux support on Nvidia, is at best poor: hard to install, often
    instable.

    Also the Nvidia Linux drivers distribution model is unacceptable: I still
    consider that when I purchase a computer peripheral for Linux, then I
    should be able to use clean open source drivers for it.

    I have purchased several NVIDIA cards, but unless NVIDIA wakes up and
    provides a good alternative to the current situation... which has lasted a
    long time, I will try ATI (or other video cards/chip vendor) in the future,
    hoping that the situation is better there. (Not sure).

    It is interesting to note that often new vendors establish a solid presence
    in the Linux (and other open source)by providing what is missing.
    I am wondering how many Laser printers did sell on the Linux market...
    because others printers vendors had poor linux support.
    My guess is "a lot ".

    note: freely providing the technical product specification, API (application
    programming interface) specification is what the open source guys need to
    write device drivers.
    Reverse engineering is possible, of course... but painful.
    ==

    AnonymousFC4, Dec 28, 2005

  2. AnonymousFC4

    J. Clarke Guest

    All right, please identify a video board vendor with good Linux support.
    You don't like nvidia's model, ATI's is the same, where does that leave
    you?

    J. Clarke, Dec 28, 2005

  3. AnonymousFC4

    Conor Guest

    Is it bollocks? It's one of THE EASIEST to install.

    Download .run file. sh .run file, folllow the bouncing ball. Edit X
    config file and change a couple of well documented entries.

    Blame your open source friends for not writing one. If there's no open
    source driver for a peripheral then there is only one group to blame -
    the OSS community.
    ROFLMAO...than you'll have something to complain about.
    Blame your OSS buddies.
    Why should a company that has spent $millions developing a product give
    their information away for free?

    --
    Conor

    I'm so grateful to the USA for their contribution to the war on terror.
    After all, if they hadn't funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn't know
    what terror was.

    Conor, Dec 28, 2005
  4. I don't have the problems with installation or stability using Gentoo,
    but the drivers they provide don't seem as good as the Windows ones.
    I don't know how easy they are to install or how well their
    drivers work, but ATi's policies protecting their "intellectual
    property" are about the same as nVidia's. There's a faq at
    Maybe if one of them opened its source, it would put pressure on the
    other. But I doubt it will happen anytime soon. In addition to their
    fears about "intellectual property" loss, they've licensed stuff from
    third parties that they can't make open. nVidia also cite another
    reason to keep the lid on -- they fear they'd be sued for
    allegedly violating someone's patents if anyone saw their code.

    I guess I should google up a cite for that patent thingy, lest the
    screaming start . . .

    <http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-5762319.html>

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=, Dec 28, 2005
  5. AnonymousFC4

    J. Clarke Guest

    It's not that simple when the device has a complex proprietary interface.
    If Nvidia and ATI would get it into their heads that the make _chips_ and
    not _software_ and provided full documentation on their chips it would be a
    different story, but reverse-engineering the damned things when all you
    have to work with is the chip itself and a Windows driver in binary is a
    collossal task.
    If you think it's easy, why don't _you_ do it?
    So that they can make $millions actually selling products?

    J. Clarke, Dec 28, 2005
  6. AnonymousFC4

    First of One Guest

    Indeed, but that actually represents the best effort out of all the major
    video chipset manufacturers.
    Most PC users do not share your opinion. It's also true that driver
    development can cost more than hardware development, especially for
    professional 3D CAD and DCC work. There are huge monetary investment and
    trade secrets involved, so don't expect nVidia or ATi to release open-source
    drivers.
    ATi allocates driver development time commensurate with market share. This,
    straight from the horse's mouth in an interview. Thus, there's one person
    (out of some 50) dedicating half his time to Linux driver development... I
    think Mac OS drivers receive higher priority.
    This has been said before, it's a chicken and egg thing. However, consider
    this: both ATi and nVidia have pretty much abandoned the entire installed
    base of AGP systems, as a conscious business decision. They certainly care
    less about the Linux users.

    First of One, Dec 28, 2005
  7. Have nVidia given any indications about how much developer time is
    devoted to their Linux drivers?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=, Dec 29, 2005