Lion Server -> Mountain Lion Server on New HW: Upgrade or Migrate?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by glawrie, Mar 1, 2013.

  1. glawrie

    glawrie Guest

    We are about to update our server to Moutain Lion (i.e. Server 2.2),
    and to do this we also need to update our hardware (currently running
    on a MacPro 2,1 which won't do Mountain Lion).

    Question is, is it better to migrate the current configuration to the
    new machine (a tuned up Mac Mini) first (i.e. as Lion) and then do an
    in-place upgrade to Mountain Lion and then Server 2.2 (which is the way
    it has to be apparently), or do a migration from old machine to new
    machine and then install Server 2.2?

    I'm inclined toward the migration route (i.e. second of above options)
    because our system is now it's second in-place upgrade (we started with
    a Leopard Server some years ago) and I suspect we've picked up a lot of
    cruft along the way. Plus the upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion was
    not smooth.

    So would value any thoughts - especially from anyone who's done this
    move before.

    Thanks!

    glawrie, Mar 1, 2013

  2. glawrie

    Mr. Strat Guest

    Planning to do a similar thing here on campus, and I'm just going to
    start fresh.

    Mr. Strat, Mar 1, 2013

  3. glawrie

    JF Mezei Guest

    If you do a fresh install, you need to be careful about how much time
    you will be spending to put your new server into the same state as the
    old one.

    It all depends on whether the server acts as just a file server, or if
    you use it as a server with SMTP and various other bits running, and
    whether you've tweaked it, added much unix software to it etc etc.

    I am told that between the last real version of OS-X Server and the
    "home" servers for Lion and ML, they also changed much of the default
    software. So doing an upgrade should get the upgrade process to convert
    mailboxes to whatever new format used by the new mail software, and
    leave in place software that is no longer installed (I am told MySQL no
    longer gets installed with the server).

    Note that much of the tweaking you have done might also get zapped by an
    upgrade. (I believe that an upgrade resets the enabling of telnet for
    instance, so you have to hunt down the commands needed to enable telnet
    for your version of OS-X).

    However, doing a fresh install does give you a good oppostunity to
    document the steeps needed to rebuild your environment so that next
    time, you have documentation on what customisations you have done.

    JF Mezei, Mar 1, 2013
  4. I'd just like to make sure that you're certain ML Server can do the
    jobs that you need done - there's a pretty serious change in
    functionality between 'real' server (Snow Leopard) and what's
    presented in Lion and ML.

    Cheers - Jaimie

    Jaimie Vandenbergh, Mar 1, 2013
  5. glawrie

    glawrie Guest

    Yes, I am aware there are changes. Not aware that anything we're doing
    will fail - but good to check. We are using the following:

    * Mail
    * Wiki
    * iCal Server
    * Address Book Server
    * File Sharing
    * Webserver (to provide HTTP access to files shared)
    * SSH / SFTP
    * VPN (but this is only in theory - never managed to get it to work in Lion)

    We also run a handful of "Server Apps" (i.e. clients running on server
    that provide Server like services to remote clients - for example an
    app called "Studiometry").

    I'm leaning towards doing a clean install on the mini and then
    Migrating the information from the old server. This for three reasons:

    * Migrating leaves the old server intact - so if ML fails to get
    started / problem encountered we can restart the current server, reset
    the mini, and then have another go … upgrading potentially will leave
    us having to do a whole-system restore to correct if update fails etc.
    * The current server is configured with data on a different drive to
    the system files (i.e. the Service Data location is on a different
    drive to the OS X Boot). On the new server all the files will be
    stored on the same disk. I'm hoping that migration may sort this out
    automagically and put data files in right place as part of migration…
    * The current server has lots of loose ends from years of trying to get
    things to work (especially during / after the move from Snow Leopard to
    Lion - which was a nightmare on our system). Hopefully migration will
    leave all these loose ends behind…

    Does this sound like sensible idea?

    glawrie, Mar 1, 2013