Live! MP3+ alright? Or must have Audigy2?

Discussion in 'Soundcards' started by LRW, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. LRW

    LRW Guest

    I need to upgrade my sound (right now I'm using the AC97 chip on my
    motherboard. =P

    My brother has an Audigy2, and raves about it, and indeed it's about
    400% better than my current sound. But the lowest I can find it is
    $70, and while it's likely worth it, it's still $70.

    I can get a Sound Blaster Live! MP3+ 5.1 for $35.
    Now I know you get what you pay for, and looking at the stats the
    Live! is half as good a card as the Audigy2.
    But is the Audigy2 that much worth it? I'm just playing games on it
    like EVE:Online and Neverwinter, and listen to MP3's now and then
    (almost all ripped at 160bit anyway), will difference between the two
    cards for this purpose really be that much worth it?

    Thanks for any advice!
    Liam

    LRW, Aug 11, 2003

  2. LRW

    Grasso Guest

    Grasso, Aug 12, 2003

  3. LRW

    Grasso Guest

    Huh. The one I'm looking at does say OEM, but its chip is listed as
    Yes, that is the main chip, the digital portion. I speak about the
    A/D, D/A and analogue portion which is also important. If you cannot
    have a quick look at the chip (a 6x6mm, rather tiny, quadratic chip)
    you should not buy a OEM version.
    Well, some games have problems with that soundcard, others with other
    soundcards. Unfortunatly one cannot run two typical consumer audio
    cards simultaniousy on one system because MS messed it up, so you have
    to decide.

    Uli

    Grasso, Aug 12, 2003