Live Multi Track Recording with Garageband

Discussion in 'Apple' started by jnbphish, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. jnbphish

    jnbphish Guest

    Taken from The Garagedoor
    Q. How long can a song be?

    A. It depends. In versions 1 and 2 of GarageBand a song can be 999
    measures long, in GB3 a song can be 1999 measures long (these are hard
    limit and can not, at this time, be extended with any type of
    workaround), how long that translates to in time depends on the tempo
    of the song (more beats per minute uses up those measures faster) and
    Time Signature (only in GB 1 & 2).

    Examples (in hours:minutes:seconds):

    GarageBand version 3:

    a 120BPM song will play for 01:06:36
    a 60BPM song will play for 02:13:12
    a 40BPM song will play for 03:19:48

    I have GB version 3 and only want to do live recordings via my saffire
    26 firewire interface, I don't really care about time signatures and
    BPM can I disable this feature in any way. When I setup for recording
    do I just need to set the BPM for as low as possible, becasue I never
    know how long a show might be and would hate to run out of time.

    Has anyone tested this, how long can GB track 8 tracks without
    stopping or freezing

    Thanks Much I appreciate any input.

    jnbphish, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Note that the answer depends a great deal on what machine you are using.

    Reginald Dwight, Mar 21, 2007

  3. jnbphish

    jnbphish Guest

    i just got a new macbook with the core 2- 2.0 GHZ processor with 2G
    of ram
    my first mac

    jnbphish, Mar 21, 2007