Live! Value vs. Audigy 2 ZS?

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by SideHatch, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. SideHatch

    SideHatch Guest

    I've had a Soundblaster Live! Value card for ages, and for the most part
    have been perfectly happy with it. I'm considering upgrading to an Audigy 2
    ZS, but am not sure I need to. Putting aside the 5/6/7.1, better
    efficiency, and bells and whistles, this is currently what I need it for
    (and solely the factor at hand, though I'm sure I would utilize the extra
    features in the future):

    I'm running sound directly into the card (from a stereo to line in),
    recording/editing/altering the file with Cool Edit, saving it as a .wav,
    then playing it in real time back out to my stereo (and component CD
    recorder). Yes, there are several reasons I'm using this process.

    I'm archiving live cassettes and vinyl to CD-R, and I just want to make
    sure that I get (er, retain) the best possible sound when it's manually
    filtered in and out of the card. I've been converting radio shows, vinyl,
    and tapes (in) to wav and MP3 without a hitch. Does anybody know or think
    there would be even a slight difference between the two cards? Am I asking
    for unecessary headaches with the Audigy?

    System:
    XP Home
    AMD Duron 1.2
    384MB RAM
    SB Live Value sound
    Altec Lansing 2-speakers + sub
    Gainward Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB video

    TIA!

    SideHatch, Jul 15, 2004

  2. SideHatch

    Lenny Guest

    The Audigy2 ZS has considerably better DACs with higher signal/noise ratio,
    higher sensitivity, lower distortion and such, but wether you'll hear that
    in the end is debatable if you're encoding the sound to a "lossy" format
    such as MP3 anyway. ;) MP3 varies from awesome to total crap depending on
    the encoder you use and the parameters supplied to the same. Also, the
    equipment you'll use to play back the sound matters. If it isn't of
    particulary high quality, it won't matter even if your soundcard delivers
    completely flawless sound, you won't hear the difference anyway. ;)

    Anyway, I have a ZS, and I am very happy with it. I think it is a very nice
    sound card, and the generic version without the I/O break-out boxes isn't
    particulary expensive either.

    Lenny, Jul 15, 2004

  3. SideHatch

    SideHatch Guest

    Thanks for the info. Encoding MP3s doesn't really factor into why I'm
    considering a new card. I've done a lot of experimenting in that dept, and
    am getting the best results I can w/out completely hogging my portable's
    drive. IMO the MP3 format will have a short shelf life anyway, so it
    doesn't concern me so much.

    I'm strictly inquiring about audio in, saving to wav, then audio out to a
    component CD recorder. I have reasonably decent equipment, as sound quality
    is generally my #1 priority.

    Thanks

    SideHatch, Jul 16, 2004

  4. Yes I moved from a SB Line 4.1 to a ZS and I am very pleased with it but I
    do run the preferred Hardware Like Intel, Creative stuff likes Intel better,
    not CRAP VIA stuff.

    Woger MKII , Jul 17, 2004
  5. SideHatch

    JS Guest

    You rrealize that the shelf life of CD-R (any recordable CD)
    is not very long. Maybe 1 to 2 years?

    JS, Aug 4, 2004

  6. Crap, 300 Years for Misumi Gold Archival ones..

    I have links to the Info..

    Woger MKII , Aug 5, 2004

  7. Vebatum Azo is rated for 100 Years..

    Woger MKII , Aug 5, 2004