    Is this a built-in functionality?

    Thanks,

    Daniel

    muraii, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Activate a screensaver and make it require a password to awake?

    Jochem

    Jochem Huhmann, Nov 29, 2005

  3. muraii

    Guest Guest

    Or just lock the screen. Apple makes it a bit less than obvious,
    but there's a Lock Screen command. The easiest way to get it
    into an accessible place is - here's the less-than-obvious
    part - is to start up Applications->Utilities->Keychain Access.
    Then, go to Keychain Access->Preferences and in the Preference
    window, select "Show Status in Menubar".

    That activates a menu on the right side of your menubar which
    looks like a padlock. The first thing in that menu is "Lock Screen".

    Guest, Nov 29, 2005
  4. muraii

    Daniel Black Guest

    "Activate a screensaver and make it require a password to awake?"

    I'd thought of that, and had considered mentioning it in the post, but
    I don't consider that an elegant solution. I appreciate the response,
    though, because that may have been my only way out.

    "Or just lock the screen."

    [snip]

    That's just about perfect, from what I can tell. Of course I'm at work
    and can't test it, but I'd much prefer something intrinsic to the OS
    than a 3rd-party add-on.

    Thank you both.

    Daniel

    Daniel Black, Nov 30, 2005
  5. muraii

    Király Guest

    Another thing you can do is go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login
    Options and enable fast user switching. This will put a menu into the
    menu bar. Choose "login window" from the menu bar.

    I have actually created a separate Simple Finder account for my kids.
    When I need to step away from the computer and the kids are around, I
    fast-user-switch into it. There are a few toddler games they can play
    from that account, but mostly they are entertained by the slideshow of
    family photos that changes on the Desktop every five seconds (I thought
    the 5-second desktop picture change function was useless until I used it
    for this purpose!)

    K.

    Király, Dec 1, 2005