    configured properly).

    Kirk

    "Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

    'Captain' Kirk DeHaan, Dec 13, 2004

  2. Hi!
    I've seen some cheap-o systems that couldn't handle this. I think this was
    mainly because the power supply and power supply circuitry on the
    motherboard weren't up to the task. Also, if you have a slightly weak
    system, you may not know it until you try one of these programs.

    But other than that, running your processor at 100% utilization all the time
    won't hurt anything. A lot of people do just that with projects like
    [email protected] and Distributed.net. In other words, if your machine has some
    minor fault, doing such a project will usually find it, but it's not going
    to break perfectly functional hardware.

    Now...you mention having a laptop in the form of an Inspiron 8500. This
    brings to mind some points of caution when you start a distributed computing
    project for the first time. First, make sure the machine is in a place where
    ventilation is not an issue. Secondly, make sure the computer is capable of
    charging the battery *properly* while running a distributed computing
    project of any sort. Sometimes the power supplies in laptops cannot handle
    all the load of a pegged CPU, a lit display panel and charging the battery.
    Since the battery "doesn't have to charge" for the machine to function, you
    may find that it does not, even if the charging indicator is lit. Just be
    watchful on this...you can ruin a battery this way. Seen it happen.

    Finally, be careful with handling the computer after it has been running a
    distributed computing project. Laptops run with a lot more of their "hot"
    parts in closer proximity to the case than desktops do. This could mean that
    portions of the casing will be VERY hot and could possibly cause burns if
    you go to pick the machine up.
    That's what the [email protected] client should do...it will keep CPU usage at or
    near 100% all of the time. However, it runs at a low process priority so
    that other programs get time on the CPU before it does.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Dec 13, 2004

  3. Good. I think I will remove the Threadmaster s/w and let it have at
    it. I have the laptop on AC power and rarely use the battery unless
    I'm on the road in the car. Even then I use an inverter. Runs much
    slower on battery power.

    The system has been perfect from day one. Not a single problem.
    (Knock on wood, hand hitting head)

    I do keep things clear of the vent openings and the air coming off the
    CPU is not excessive although it is quite warm. I can hear the fan
    cycle as needed.

    Thanks.

    'Captain' Kirk DeHaan, Dec 14, 2004
  4. In general, while elevated temperatures will (thermodynamically)
    reduce the lifetime of the chips in your computer, you may not notice
    it in the 3-5 year lifespan of a typical computer.
    Laptops, on the other hand, don't have the best cooling in the world,
    and (given the investment) I'd never run a laptop at 100% CPU 24x7.
    You're better off economically buying a $350 Dell desktop just for
    [email protected] and extending the life of your laptop, IMHO.

    William P.N. Smith, Dec 14, 2004
  5. 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

    Tom Almy Guest

    Frankly, I wouldn't run any notebook system at 100% CPU for long periods
    because they have cooling issues and weren't designed for such use.
    However the Dimension systems I have had in the past run at 100% CPU for
    over a year, 24/7, with no problems.

    Tom Almy, Dec 14, 2004
  6. Hi!
    I'm still running some 386 and 486 class machines and they do distributed
    computing projects (in their own admittedly little way). I don't imagine
    they saw that kind of use when new, but some have been running for the past
    four years almost nonstop and there are no significant problems. I also have
    a lot of Pentium 1 through 3 machines that have been running much the same
    way.
    I don't know how much of a problem that will be. The battery charging seems
    to be the biggest deal...some machines just can't do it while the CPU is
    pegged and the display is on. I've had a Compaq LTE 5000 (150MHz) notebook
    running distributed.net since I got it in 2001, and during some of that time
    it had very subpar cooling because the fan was almost worn out. To this day
    it still runs like new. It looks like the backlighting will be what ends up
    killing it--it's getting rather weak and shifting color when cold.

    William

    William R. Walsh, Dec 14, 2004
  7. 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    the screensaver is very pretty, but it adds quite a bit to the processing
    time.

    Get the commandline cleint for your OS, and then get a monitor like SetiSPY.

    Better utililization of the processor, and faster WU processing times. Plus,
    SetiSPY does groovy logs and starmaps and things. Also shows you your CPU
    efficiency, and other nifty things.

    Give it a look. I stopped doing seti (hard core) a couple years ago. I
    stopped with about 11,000 work units completed. Mostly run on SMP machines,
    and high end (at the time) athlons.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Dec 15, 2004