    (i.e. 5+ years)

    Thanks,
    Stuart

    Stuart J Adams, Jun 9, 2004

  2. Forget PC-Card, it is dead...
    Reason is the movement towards 802.11g, which is 54 Mbit.
    Can't do 54 Mbit using PCMCIA.
    USB seems the way to go at this point.

    The fact that 802.11g is mainly needed to increase the number of nodes
    in the system, rather than increase the throughput of a single node
    does not change this unfortunately...

    Ulf Samuelsson, Jun 9, 2004

  3. 10 Mbit Ethernet interfaces are still readily available at low cost,
    even though the 100 Mbit (and faster) standards have been around a
    long time.

    Iosoft isn't the only company introducing new 802.11b products, and we
    are all working hard to ensure the longevity of the standard, using
    PCMCIA, CF, or other interfaces.

    Ulf, I have great respect for your work, but in this case I think you
    are being unnecessarily provocative and alarmist; is this part of an
    Atmel agenda to convert us all to embedded USB?

    Jeremy Bentham
    Iosoft Ltd.

    Jeremy Bentham, Jun 10, 2004
  4. Stuart J Adams

    Neil Kurzman Guest

    Have you tried Symbol?
    They use them in their DOS products.

    Neil Kurzman, Jun 11, 2004
  5. These comments are intended to be my own opinion and they
    may, or may not be shared by my employer, Atmel Sweden.

    No, I dont represent Atmel here, but I think that WLAN cards don't have a
    long
    lifetime, and I see that CF is disappering from new products (802.11g) but
    USB will remain.

    Ulf Samuelsson, Jun 11, 2004
  6. It may be less than ideal, but to say "can't do" is sweeping.
    If there is demand, someone will make it.
    Not sure I follow the logic?. USB makes sense for short-haul, node-node
    designs, but there are many embedded apps it cannot touch.
    Atmel have an ARM device comming with USB, CAN and Ethernet 10/100MAC,
    which sounds a usefull 'embedded bridge' device.
    Ethernet does not seem to be going away.
    -jg

    Jim Granville, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Let me Clarify,
    You can build a 54 Mbit WLAN chip with a PCCARD interface
    but you cannot get the 54 Mbit throughput over PCMCIA.
    As I said in the first post, there are reasons to have a 54 Mbit
    PCCARD, but from what I have seen so far, there
    is nothing out there.

    Ulf Samuelsson, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Stuart J Adams

    patrick Guest

    I doubt that.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but my 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card from NETGEAR
    (32-bit CardBus WG511) works just fine and is available all over the place!

    I know Linksys and other manufacturers make 802.11g cards as well, so I
    don't understand why you say "from what I have seen so far, there is
    nothing out there"??

    Patrick Klos Email:
    ==================== What goes around, comes around... =====================

    patrick, Jun 12, 2004
  9. Stuart J Adams

    roller Guest

    maybe it's a naming problem??,
    i just read a bit and it seems that PCCard refers to the 16bits version and
    CardBus to the 32bit version (33MHz with bus mastering)
    http://www.pcmcia.org/papers/cardbus.htm
    and both are promoted by PCMCIA (i've to admit that i call them all "a
    PCMCIA card"...)

    not only that, you can also get USB2.0 and Firewire expasion cards

    roller, Jun 14, 2004