Looking for a BIG fast drive that Dell sell for my XPS410.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Jeff Ingram, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. Jeff Ingram

    Jeff Ingram Guest

    Hello,

    I'm looking to purchase a nice BIG and FAST drive (i.e. 400gigs or more) for
    my XPS 410. I've got the standard 160 gig, 10,000 RPM drive and I'm running
    Windows Vista Home Premium right now. Anyone have any suggestions? I did see
    this drive listed on the site: 500 GB 7200 RPM RAID Edition 2 Serial ATA
    Hard Drive from Western Digital. Now, being a home user with lots of media
    files (BIG video files) and mostly plays games, and occasionally does some
    video editing of large files, would this drive be suitable for my use?

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0641951
    for just $219.00! I saw this and thought, "WOW! That sure seems like one
    hell of a bargin!" A 500gig RAID drive for that cheap! I'd think it would
    FAST too, but I don't know how well it would do my my applications (Office
    Apps, Games, Corel Draw 11, Photoshop Elements 11, iTunes, FireFox 2.

    Please anyone give some opinions on whether this drive would be good choice
    for me or not and if not, please let me know what Dell sells (I want to add
    it to my Dell preferred account) that would be BIG and FAST too!

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram, Mar 23, 2007

  2. Jeff Ingram

    Journey Guest

    I am going to have to read up about RAID. I know the concepts, sort
    of. In any case, I priced a 500G Western Digital drive from newegg
    last week, and it was $139. I almost bought it but decided to get the
    $69 250G drive due to all the external storage I have.

    I can tell you that all the applications above except Corel which I
    haven't tried open up very quickly on my non-RAID system. We may have
    different hardware - my XPS 410 has 4G memory and the 2.4Ghz chip with
    4M cache. Even Office 2007 apps open quickly. Word 2007 opens in 3-5
    seconds, and that's with it not being in cache. OneNote 2007 which I
    _love_ opens instantly.

    Oh... very importantly, I am running Windows XP, which is much faster
    than Vista in my experience.

    Journey, Mar 23, 2007

  3. Jeff Ingram

    Tom Scales Guest

    I HIGHLY recommend the Seagate 750Gb drives. Extremely fast -- almost as
    fast a a 10K drive -- and lots of space. I have six of them, with four
    configured into two 1.5TB Raid 0 arrays.

    One big recommendation. If they are primarily going to hold large files
    (such as video), be sure to format them with 64K clusters. It makes an
    incredible performance difference on video.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Mar 23, 2007