    Mac OS X. In the process we got feelings hurt...

    I've searched for a simple sample Package info file, which seems most
    critical to make a package, to no avail, would appreciate a pointer.

    justaguy, Dec 13, 2011

  2. justaguy

    Guest Guest

    why do you insist on doing things the hard way?

    use package maker in xcode. there are also third party installer
    creators that are easier to use.

    Guest, Dec 13, 2011

  3. justaguy

    justaguy Guest

    Since I have everything ready, so, a computer science college student
    with Mac and who has used package maker or PackageMaker before should
    be able to get it within an hour, would this estimate about right?
    Thanks.

    justaguy, Dec 13, 2011
  4. justaguy

    Tim Streater Guest

    I used PackageMaker but ultimately gave up as my app doesn't require
    anything in the way of pre- or post-processing at install time. In the
    end I followed some advice that said just use a disc image; the user can
    mount that and drag the folder to wherever they want to put it.

    It was also unclear to me that I was using PackageMaker correctly.

    Tim Streater, Dec 13, 2011
  5. Depends on the student. Is he actually willing to try to do things the
    right way, or is he more like you?

    Tom Harrington, Dec 14, 2011
  6. justaguy

    justaguy Guest

    Please enlighten me on the possibility of having an average user click
    on a shell script to start the installation process.
    I must be really lousy in performing effective search on Apple's
    developer web site. I think I've tried to search for it to no avail.

    Anyway, I owe you an apology.

    justaguy, Dec 14, 2011
  7. justaguy

    justaguy Guest

    Ohe come on now... my initial thought is that an installer for Mac OS
    X can be a simple shell script, hence, much simpler to get the logic
    right and get the script done...
    but didn't you guys say NO clearly?

    justaguy, Dec 14, 2011
  8. justaguy

    justaguy Guest

    http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/DeveloperTools/Con
    ceptual/PackageMakerUserGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

    Actually I've just reviewed it. What I tried to do and am still
    trying to do, is to get it to work of creating a package or a script
    that an average can use to install my app.
    Were we a corporation, even medium-sized I would have gone through the
    approach folks recommended, that is, use the nice PackageMaker GUI
    tool.

    Here's what I have: the installation script.
    A similar script worked for two testers but it failed another. It
    served a purpose.
    If the command line package utility has an option to turn it into
    a .pkg file that would be wonderful.

    At the moment, I'm trying two options:
    a)
    to figure out how to create the .info file, and have everything ready
    and tell an experienced Mac user to run a script that contains the
    package commands to generate it.
    so, a sample .info file is extremely helpful.
    b)
    find someone to create the package one way or another quickly.

    I don't mind sending this script to a few individuals but prefer not
    to post to public.

    Thanks.

    justaguy, Dec 14, 2011
  9. justaguy

    Guest Guest

    option b is the best idea you've had yet. be sure to pick someone who
    actually has a mac.

    Guest, Dec 14, 2011
  10. justaguy

    justaguy Guest

    Of course, otherwise meaningless. I was searching for a sample .info
    file for package high and low to no avail, it seems very odd... Not
    interested in some generic pointer.

    justaguy, Dec 14, 2011
  11. justaguy

    Tim Streater Guest

    I'd say about zero, if you're talking about the average user, who will
    never have heard of shell scripts.

    Tim Streater, Dec 14, 2011
  12. justaguy

    Tim Streater Guest

    Well, you can do this, but I would regard it as a very poor approach.
    When you do this it opens a terminal window and runs the script there.
    That's why, as I said before, I created a small AppleScript app whose
    sole task is to run a shell script and report its results, if any. Such
    an app is double-clickable and behaves like any Mac user would expect an
    app to behave.

    Tim Streater, Dec 14, 2011
  13. justaguy

    Tim Streater Guest

    Well I in fact am not using it to install the app. I use it to start the
    app - I need to do some stuff with SQLite databases, launch apache, and
    then run a Safari instance and all that can conveniently be done with a
    PHP script started by a double-clickable Applescript. Simples!

    Tim Streater, Dec 14, 2011
  14. justaguy

    justaguy Guest

    "I created a small AppleScript app", do you mean to say, using
    AppleScript to create a n installer for your Mac app? If so could you
    kindly share it or the essence of it?
    Thanks.

    justaguy, Dec 14, 2011
  15. justaguy

    justaguy Guest

    justaguy, Dec 14, 2011
  16. justaguy

    Tim Streater Guest

    Tim Streater, Dec 14, 2011
  17. justaguy

    justaguy Guest

    Sorry, I missed it.
    Two questions:
    1. for the value of "path/to/my/startupscript.php" since we don't know
    the current user's download path, would "myScriptInstaller.command"
    suffice for current path?
    2. would this "myScriptInstaller.command" have rw permission by
    default?
    Or does it have to be chmod +rx myScriptInstaller.command first and
    then zip with Mac OS X and then to be usable?

    Thank you very much.

    justaguy, Dec 14, 2011
  18. justaguy

    Tim Streater Guest

    Yes, if that is then in the same directory as the Applescript app. But
    you don't need the .command suffix. That's only if you want to make the
    script *itself* be double-clickable, which is not needed since it's
    being run by the Applescript app.

    By the way to make the Applescript app you will need a Mac.
    If the script on your Mac or other unix box has the right permissions
    (execute is enough, I think) that should suffice.

    Tim Streater, Dec 14, 2011
  19. justaguy

    justaguy Guest

    Thanks. The script is written with a Windows text editor, which has
    different coding schema for carriage return, running google search for
    a fix/conversion, no luck,
    know a Mac OS X command that would do the version or a Mac text editor
    that would do the trick? Thanks again.

    justaguy, Dec 14, 2011
  20. justaguy

    Tim Streater Guest

    Use TextWrangler - it's free. It will open (and detect) the line ending
    in use and then you can save with a different one.

    Tim Streater, Dec 14, 2011