    Don't want to spend much and am located in Canada so would prefer if
    suggestions for places to buy be given that they be in Canada.

    Suggestions, what should I look for, what should I avoid?

    GTT, Jul 27, 2004

  2. GTT

    Al Dykes Guest

    They battery on a used laptop is not going to have much life
    left. A replacement battery costs as much as $150US. If that's
    important to you price it before you buy the laptop.

    There are lots of end-of-lease IBM laptops around. Look for the "IBM
    store" on ebay.

    Check max memory for the model. If it doesn't have 256mb budget
    for the memory upgrade. Don't spend the money until you've
    used the laptop and decide it needs it.
    www.crucial.com
    is a good place to identify what your memory options are.

    Make sure the OS CDs are included.

    Plan on doing a fresh installation of the OS and apps.

    Laptops are really expensive to repair.

    IMHO avoid Sony. They make nice machines but drop support
    for older equipment faster than I would like.

    If you are considering upgrading the machine to w2k or XP look at the
    laptop manufacturer's web site for the model and see if they have
    drivers and updates. That means they support the OS, for that model.

    For email and browsing w98SE is fine, just keep it updated.

    Al Dykes, Jul 27, 2004

  3. GTT

    mike Guest

    First, take a HARD look at what you really need to do.
    I long for the days when we didn't feel the need to play computer games
    while on vacation. How are you gonna receive email? I'm no traveller,
    but you may find more instances of wireless broadband than dialup.
    That may make a SIGNIFICANT difference in what you need on your laptop.
    Maps can be put right on the laptop. They also make these neat folding
    paper things with all the streets on 'em. Car rental agencies used to
    give 'em to you for free.

    If you need
    ONLY what you've specified, go to a garage sale and buy a $1 486 laptop.
    Win95 should be adequate.
    Plan to use it on AC or Car power. New battery will be prohibitively
    expensive. I rebuild 'em, but that's not practical for most people.
    Remember that a significant number of laptops get dropped or stolen
    on vacations. Don't invest more than you need to.

    Back in '95, I spent $2500 on a laptop and map stuff to use in the RV.
    Used it a total of about 5 hours...that's $500/hour...I coulda paid
    a hooker to read me maps while...for less than that.

    I'd vote to take a vacation FROM technology. ;-)
    mike

    --
    Return address is VALID.
    HP200LX 10MB + MODEM + LEATHER CASE

    mike, Jul 28, 2004
  4. GTT

    Papa Guest

    I have had very good experience with Dell, HP, and Gateway laptops. However,
    any laptop can be defective, worn out, mishandled, etc. - so be careful in
    making a selection. All of my laptops were purchased on eBay, were 1 to 2
    years old, and were in mint condition. For each seller, I asked lots of
    questions before bidding, and reviewed buyers feedbacks on them to make sure
    there were no negative feedbacks, and made sure they were not new sellers
    without any feedback history.

    Papa, Jul 28, 2004
  5. GTT

    GTT Guest

    Papa thanks for input

    Most sellers (I am restricting choice to Canada) with history seeem to
    be almost dealers. Seen anything attractive lately? I doubt that I
    know what questions to ask.

    GTT, Jul 28, 2004