    It's just going to be a remote media machine for my projector.

    Any suggestions other than ebay for a source for such a machine?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 5, 2005

  2. Try Dell Financial Services Diect Sales. A little more expensive than
    eBay, but good warranty. I've bought many machines from them, all in
    good shape:

    http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dfsdirect/

    DFS also has an eBay store that can be cheaper, with the same
    warranty.

    Dale Dellutri, Aug 5, 2005

  3. how about a mac mini?

    Christopher Muto, Aug 5, 2005
  4. Tom Scales

    Ben Myers Guest

    Tom,

    If you will settle for a nicely constructed and solid Compaq DeskPro SFF with
    Windows 2000 sticker, get in touch and tell me how much memory is required. I
    would assume 256MB as a minimum with Win 2000.

    Dimensions are 12" wide x 14" deep x 4" high. They are no more proprietary than
    other SFF boxes. The motherboard and power supply are proprietary. Everything
    else is standard including PCI slots, hard drive, floppy (w/o bezel, of course),
    and CD-ROM (or CD-RW or DVD device). I've sold a number of these to
    space-challenged people, and never had a complaint about either hardware or OS.
    Refurbed with Win 2000 loaded and up to date and 90-day warranty... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 5, 2005
  5. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    1) too expensive
    2) Won't run any of the software I use for my home theater. Not compatible,
    don't you know.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 5, 2005
  6. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Unfortunately, they're still too big. It needs to get mounted on my wall
    and the space is very small.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Tom Scales

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, I tried. Nothing smaller here... Ben

    Ben Myers, Aug 5, 2005
  8. Tom Scales

    Ben Myers Guest

    I regularly get lists of stuff for sale from other dealers and purveyors of
    surplus. FWIW, one of the messages I got today advertised the GX150 SFF for
    $125. More than I'd want to pay, probably more than you would, too.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Aug 5, 2005
  9. Tom Scales

    Steve W. Guest

    Well that tosses out the IBM thinkCenters I have. They are the same size
    as the Compaqs but 3.5" tall.

    How about building one using a custom case? I put one together for use
    in my conversion van. Used a Mini ITX case from Travla. Price wise it
    wasn't cheap but it is SMALL.
    7" X 2" X 10". Put it in place of the original VHS player in the
    overhead.

    Steve W., Aug 5, 2005
  10. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    THanks for the help :)

    Tom Scales, Aug 5, 2005
  11. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, cheap is good. For now, I'm going to try using a Compaq T1000 tablet PC
    I have laying around. If it works, it will be perfect, but they're real
    dogs.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 5, 2005
  12. Tom Scales

    youth Guest

    Try http://www.surpluscomputers.com

    I've never shop there so check resellerratings.com, but I've seen refurbished
    small form factor desktops advertised for cheap through their mailing list.

    g'day
    youth

    youth, Aug 5, 2005
  13. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    I looked all over the site. Plenty of SFF, but I need a USFF. Maybe they
    just don't have any now.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Aug 6, 2005
  14. Tom Scales

    Ben Myers Guest

    I guess I can't interest you in an 8' high 19" cabinet for all the gear either.
    :)

    .... Ben

    Steve W., Aug 6, 2005
  16. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Aug 6, 2005
  17. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    You're either looking for an old SFF Optiplex GX100 or 110 (few bucks), or a
    newer Dimension 4600C:

    http://tinyurl.com/8otc9

    Or ....an even newer (and smallest) Optiplex SX280, which can be hung under
    cabinet or on the wall, as the power supply is external.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 6, 2005
  18. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Tom Scales, Aug 6, 2005
  19. Tom Scales

    Tom Scales Guest

    Those are SFF. I need USFF.

    Tom Scales, Aug 6, 2005
  20. Tom Scales

    S.Lewis Guest

    I've not seen any Dell system physically smaller than the SX 280. How about
    posting back when you find something that works. I'd be interested to hear
    what it is and where you found it. ?

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Aug 6, 2005