    the group please recommend the ASUS FLAGSHIP mobo for my DualCore AMD
    Athlon II X2 255, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200) CPU? Thanks IN Advance!
    Also please share with me how it performs on your system.

    John Smitty, Apr 6, 2012

  2. John Smitty

    John Smitty Guest

    PS my CPU is 64bit capable

    John Smitty, Apr 6, 2012

  3. John Smitty

    John Smitty Guest

    Oh yes I need onboard video

    John Smitty, Apr 6, 2012
  4. John Smitty

    Paul Guest

    First step, is start with the Asus CPU support chart, plug in X2 255 and
    see which boards actually support your CPU. It's up to you to verify your
    CPU is actually supported by these motherboards.

    http://support.asus.com/CPUSupport/List2.aspx?SLanguage=en

    *******

    It doesn't look like there is much to choose from.

    This one is an open box, and has built in graphics. M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    Normally it would be about $150. Chipset is 890GX.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631R

    This one is based on 880G chipset. M5A88-V EVO AM3+. $115.
    The slot layout isn't as useful, at least to me. The other board
    had x16 or x8,x8 while this one is fixed x16,x4. I get fewer
    useful slots from this one.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131733

    What I was looking for, is the fastest GPU for the onboard graphics,
    and the 890GX is HD 4290 while the 880G is HD 4250. The numbers
    are a measure of the graphics core contained in the Northbridge.

    Between the Asus CPU Support list, and the list of boards on Newegg,
    you should be able to narrow it down to some choices, then buy the
    motherboard from a source closer to you. The Newegg adverts have
    pictures, which is why I use them for illustration purposes.

    You can also use the Wikipedia articles on chipsets. These are
    better than any advertising fluff you'll find on the AMD site.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_800_chipset_series

    890GX HD 4290
    880G HD 4250

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_900_chipset_series

    (No chipset with internal GPU)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

    HD 4290 40:4:4 560MHz
    HD 4250 40:4:4 700MHz

    So it turns out, the difference between 4250 and 4290 isn't that much.

    40:4:4 = 40 Unified Shaders : 4 Texture mapping unit : 4 Render Output unit

    By requesting onboard graphics, that limits the number of boards
    that will satisfy your requirements. You can still get motherboards
    with 880G or 890GX, but there might not be as many to choose from.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 6, 2012
  5. John Smitty

    Paul Guest

    Paul, Apr 6, 2012
  6. John Smitty

    geoff Guest

    I have an Athlon X2 265 on an Asus M4A88TD. I also have another computer
    with a 4-core black edition CPU. However, for what I do, there is not much
    difference.

    The most intense thing I do is simple video editing. With the 4-core, I
    tried Adobe's video editing software but it ran really slow, so, I went back
    to a simpler, cooler machine, an X2.

    For your CPU, you are at the end already meaning, I don't think any new
    hardware will knock your socks off in terms of performance.

    --g

    geoff, Apr 6, 2012
  7. John Smitty

    Bob F Guest

    Can a "flagship" motherboard have onboard video?

    Bob F, Apr 7, 2012