Looking for best "bang for the buck" card for kids machine

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Bitsbucket, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket Guest

    Header says it all, He has an original radeon AIW now, I paid a pretty penny
    for that card new, something like 399 or so, but it's old now and he dosen't
    care about the TV function as he has a TV in his room now. What is the best
    card for around 100 bucks that will play games better than what he has now,
    I like ATI but it does not have to be "built" by ATI just an ATI
    chipset....Looking at this card...
    ROSEWILL RADEON 9600 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X
    AGP, Model "RW9600-256D" -RETAIL

    Along with this MoBo:

    BIOSTAR KM266 Pro Chipset Motherboard With AMD Sempron 2200+ CPU kit,
    Model "M7VIG400-COMBO" -RETAIL

    Opinions????

    TIA
    Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket Guest

    Thanks,
    Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Bitsbucket

    Sham B Guest

    Ignoring the limit, the best bang for buck full stop is a 9800 pro. I know its over your limit, but
    the price of a new 9800 pro is now within sight of a 9600, and the 9800 pro does seem to be the card
    to go for if you are on a budget but looking at the long term.... it will certainly need upgrading
    much later, and is very overclockable if you stick an arctic cooler on it. Certainly the best value
    component Ive ever bought for my computers, and my first computer was bought in the 1980's!

    My advice would be to wait until after christmas (if you are able) and then pick up a cheap new 9800
    pro. Make sure you have a true 9800 pro (read other posts around three months ago about cheap 9800s
    that are not 'pro').

    Also, be aware that a non-advertised difference between 128mb and 256mb video cards is usually
    speed... the 256mb cards tend to use slower memory, so they are only faster on games that actually
    require 256mb, and there is probably only one of those at the moment, and its rubbish and lasts
    about a weekend (Doom3).

    Sham B, Dec 5, 2004