Looking for cheap ARM7 development platform

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Kolja Waschk, Nov 21, 2003.

  1. Kolja Waschk

    Kolja Waschk Guest

    Hi

    The ARM7TDMI is embedded in so many devices; do you know of a consumer
    product that utilizes it, where I could attach a JTAG connector somehow
    and put uCLinux on it?

    Ideally it would be a product with TP Ethernet, such as a router, DSL
    modem or firewall. I know about the story about Actiontec who provide a
    uCLinux adapted for CX82100 (its ARM940T core would be fine for my
    purposes as well), but can't buy that "Dual Modem" target anywhere here.
    Some SMC and Linksys routers are reported to use the CX82100 as well, but
    I haven't seen these from inside yet and don't know if JTAG is reachable
    on their boards.

    Actually I'm looking for a device with a price about USD 100(!), to learn
    about the ARM7 or ARM9 architecture and about using uCLinux on it.

    Best would be a device where documentation is available for every part of
    it, a JTAG connector could be easily put on the board, and Ethernet PHY
    and (ideally) a serial port are readily available...

    Any hints, experiences, pointers?
    Thanks in advance

    Kolja

    Kolja Waschk, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Kolja Waschk

    rickman Guest

    You don't need to find a consumer product. Many ARM suppliers provide
    an eval board that is not overly expensive. I don't know that you will
    find any at $100, but there are ones available at $200. Try contacting
    Cogent about their new eval board for the OKI ARM MCU. I believe they
    have designed this board to be able to run Linix and I am being told it
    will cost $200.

    --

    Rick "rickman" Collins

    removed.

    4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice
    Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX

    rickman, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Kolja Waschk

    Greg Holdren Guest

    : Hi

    : The ARM7TDMI is embedded in so many devices; do you know of a consumer
    : product that utilizes it, where I could attach a JTAG connector somehow
    : and put uCLinux on it?

    : Actually I'm looking for a device with a price about USD 100(!), to learn
    : about the ARM7 or ARM9 architecture and about using uCLinux on it.

    : Best would be a device where documentation is available for every part of
    : it, a JTAG connector could be easily put on the board, and Ethernet PHY
    : and (ideally) a serial port are readily available...

    You can look at the many routers out there for the consumer that use the
    Samsung S3C4510B. i.e. CompUSA 4 port router, DLINK DI-614+ 11b AP, Compaq
    CP-2E and CP-2W, Linksys 11b AP v2.2 etc. Most of these boards are US$15 to
    US$50 on ebay. Use the Samsung SNDS100 demoboard
    build for uClinux on them. Most of the boards have JTAG, most have the
    connector for the UART (must use RS232 shifter) and some have the chip loaded
    or unloaded for the serial. Most of these products use the same basic HW
    design.

    Look at the following sites:
    http://ucrouter.ru
    http://wiki.wirelessleiden.nl/wcl/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/BenqAwl500
    http://hri.sourceforge.net/
    http://lleidawireless.net/space/GL2422AP-Linux

    There are plenty of other links in the sites above.

    Here is a JTAG solution that works decent with the 4510B using a homemade parallel port
    adaptor if you dont have a real JTAG box. :). (PS I have modified the code to work with 29LV160s in 16 bit mode)
    http://openwince.sourceforge.net/jtag/

    For a comercial board. Atmel make a ARM7 based board called the EB40A for about
    US$199.

    Greg Holdren, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Kolja Waschk

    thatbird Guest

    But Samsung SNDS100 only have 1 mac(eth port)? How can it be used to be a router?

    thatbird, Nov 27, 2003
  5. Kolja Waschk

    Kolja Waschk Guest

    SNDS100 is just a reference design. The actual products are not the same,
    but somewhat similar - regarding uCLinux configuration.

    E.g. ZyXEL P310/Netgear RT311 has a Realtek RTL8019AS MAC+PHY added to
    provide a second Ethernet port. The wireless access points mentioned by
    Greg come with a a wireless adapter (attached to processor bus via MiniPCI
    or PC Card connector); often based on TI chipset ACX100 or TNETW1100B.

    Newer access points and routers utilize the Conexant CX84200 (former
    ADMtek ADM5106), which has 6 MAC units (5 with PHY for switch), or the
    ARM940T-based CX82100 with two MAC units. Unfortunately documentation
    for these isn't publicly available (except for a uCLinux adaptation from
    Actiontec for their Dual PC Modem, probably based on non-disclosed
    reference code from Conexant?).

    Kolja

    Kolja Waschk, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Kolja Waschk

    Greg Holdren Guest

    : But Samsung SNDS100 only have 1 mac(eth port)? How can it be used to be a router?

    The SNDS100 uClinux build can be used on many Samsung based routers. Out of
    the box, it will have one ethernet interface enabled. Many of the routers that
    use the Samsung CPU will also have a 4/5 port 10/100 switch chip and some with an
    additional MACPHY combo, i.e. Realtek.

    Greg Holdren, Dec 1, 2003
  7. Kolja Waschk

    Kolja Waschk Guest

    The SNDS100 uClinux build can be used on many Samsung based routers. Out of
    I just got a Netgear RT311 via eBay for EUR16; it has the S3C4510 plus
    Realtek RTL8019AS. It comes with serial console port and the ZyNOS
    debug monitor that allows uploading to RAM via console port - and then
    starting execution at an arbitrary address.

    Looks like the ideal platform for first steps :)

    Kolja

    Kolja Waschk, Dec 1, 2003
  8. Kolja Waschk

    ZO Guest