Looking for controller, operating system, and network stack for an embedded system

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Neil Bradley, May 4, 2004.

  1. Neil Bradley

    Neil Bradley Guest

    I'm working on a project at work that requires a new controller, operating
    system, a network stack, and a myriad of services (ssh, telnet, web,
    etc...). My desires are as follows:

    * 200-600Mhz operation (e.g. PowerPC 440EP and ARM XScale)
    * Instruction cache desirable
    * As many GPIOs as possible
    * At least 1 I2C bus
    * Ethernet
    * At least 16Mb of externally addressable address space
    * SDRAM Controller
    * LCD Controller
    * USB Client and host (1.1 is OK)

    I've already taken a close look at the PowerPC 440EP and the Intel XScale
    series of CPUs, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious or
    relevant.

    Regarding the software stack, I need (in pieces or as a complete package):

    * An operating system (have looked at ThreadX, MontaVista Linux, uCOS-II,
    eCOS, QNX, LynxOS)
    * A network stack, BSD API
    * Telnet server, DHCP client, DNS client, SSH server, HTTP (including PHP),
    FTP server, TFTP server,
    * Simple windowing API for the LCD screen (TinyX or a custom library is OK)
    * Drivers for the aforementioned hardware components
    * Flash file system
    * Remote firmware update capabilities using flash parts
    * IPMI 1.5 or higher stack desirable - a bonus

    Commercial, fee - does not matter provided that it meets our requirements.
    If you're a commercial company and have a product relevant to the above,
    please email me with details.

    Thanks!

    -->Neil

    Neil Bradley, May 4, 2004

  2. Neil Bradley

    Richard Guest

    * 200-600Mhz operation (e.g. PowerPC 440EP and ARM XScale)
    If you can live with an Intel/PC104/Industrial PC solution take a look at:
    http://www.on-time.com/.

    I can highly recommend it (I have no connection with them). Client side USB
    will be the problem with this solution but I get around this using an I2C
    USB chip.

    Regards, Richard.

    http://www.FreeRTOS.org

    Richard, May 5, 2004

  3. Neil Bradley

    Stephen Pelc Guest

    Do you want an embedded computer, or an embedded system, if you get my
    meaning?

    In our experience (we got bitten by the Intel SA-1110 withdrawal),
    CPU chips with integral LCD controllers are mostly designed for
    PDAs and tend to have short lifetimes for industrial products.
    The combination of on-chip Ethernet and LCD is also rare. For
    industrial use, the combination of CPU+Ethernet with an external
    LCD controller seems to give a hardware solution with lower
    product lifetime costs.

    Assuming that your response times are modest, you can always use
    an on-board bus to link the central controller to slaves for
    GPIO. Single chip 60MHz ARMs are cheap these days. Such an
    architecture also allows you to decouple the fast/hard real-time
    I/O from the nightmares of predicting worst case interrupt
    latency and jitter on a SDRAM/cached/MMUed/multitasking *computer*.

    Perhaps I'm just feeling grumpy this morning. More caffeine needed!

    Stephen
    --
    Stephen Pelc,
    tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691

    Stephen Pelc, May 5, 2004