    that would fit into this computer or do I need the model that Toshiba
    specifically makes? I'm interested in any other option that's cheaper
    whether it's NEC or any other brand that's good.

    markw10, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Yes. There's a "pseudo-standard".
    Almost each and any notebook the 12.7mm optical drives (of any kind).

    There's a difference if it's HP/COMPAQ.
    They have the traditional COMPAQ 12.7mm "Mulibay" standard; drives
    with this standard have a different shape and the adapter/connector is
    in a different place. And recently they have introduced the "Multibay
    II" standard wfor 9.5mm devices.

    As you have a Toshiba, just stay away from the latter.
    No Toshiba specific layout.
    You may use any drive with the standard so-called "OEM" shape.
    You may look on eBay.

    The best relation of performance (features) as to my experience would
    be a "LG GSA-4082N" drive.
    It does not only write "+R Double Layer" DVDs (great for backups as
    there's 8+GB capacity on one disk) but it's the only one also
    supporting read/write of "DVD-RAM", the most advanced standard for
    re-writable media.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Jun 6, 2006

  3. markw10

    MarkW Guest

    On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 08:07:23 +0200, "Rainald Taesler" <>
    The LG GSA-4082N sounds like a great solution for me. Where is it
    available? I see it listed on LG's web site as a new product
    introduced at CES 2006. I can't find it on ebay or anywhere else for
    sale though.

    MarkW, Jun 6, 2006
  4. I'm sorry, I cannot say where it is for sale.
    I would suggest to google around.
    Pls note that there also is "GWA" and "GMA" and some other 3-letter
    codes for the prefix.
    AFAICS the GWA does not support DVD-RAM.

    Rainald

    Rainald Taesler, Jun 19, 2006