Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by larwe, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. larwe

    larwe Guest

    For my current book project, I'm looking for a few stories - four or
    five at MOST - from people who entered embedded engineering through
    higher education, but via nontraditional paths (i.e. something other
    than BSEE, BSc, comp sci/electronics/etc. sorts of majors). For
    example, I've heard several stories of people who started life with
    advanced degrees in classical languages, but migrated into engineering
    without actually sitting through a single electronics or software
    class.

    I'm _not_ looking for people who got into engineering without first
    acquiring a degree; I have plenty of those stories already.

    Please email me if you have an interesting tale. Remuneration
    (commensurate with my poverty ;) is offered.

    No urban legends or fiction, please - only personal experience. Your
    name will not be used, and you will have the opportunity to review my
    summary/paraphrasing of your story before it goes to publication.

    larwe, Oct 30, 2005

  2. larwe

    slebetman Guest

    In my previous job, there was an accountant who turned programmer.
    *SHE* migrated from accounting after helping out on a short-staffed
    project. Her code was so well written that my boss decided that she
    should be in the engineering department instead of accounting.

    But her work was with the GUI client and not embedded stuff so it's not
    what you're asking. But I thought I'd mention it since it's rare enough
    to find a woman in my department but a certified accountant?!!

    She ended up marrying the engineer in the cubicle next to her and got
    promoted to team/project leader.

    slebetman, Oct 30, 2005

  3. larwe

    bill.sloman Guest

    I got into electronics by building some of my own electronic
    intrumentation while I was completing my Ph.D. in physical chemistry.

    E-mail me for more detail - my e-mail address is real.

    bill.sloman, Oct 30, 2005
  4. larwe

    Pooh Bear Guest

    Who would be idiotic enough to leave a cushy number in the arts to work in
    a high stress underpaid sector like engineering that is managed by a bunch
    of know-nothing clowns ( the PHBs ) ? That's what I'd like to know !

    Graham

    Pooh Bear, Oct 30, 2005
  5. That's interesting. I used to work with a guy who's degree was
    in classical languages. I guess a language is a language.

    Grant Edwards, Oct 30, 2005
  6. larwe

    Jim Thompson Guest

    I've noticed that with the two of my children who are fluent in
    (Mexican) Spanish without ever having had a lesson. They're both also
    very good at writing software, though the daughter prefers politics
    ;-)

    ...Jim Thompson
    --
    | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
    | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

    Jim Thompson, Oct 30, 2005
  7. larwe

    Tauno Voipio Guest

    Did you check the education of Dilbert's PHB?

    Tauno Voipio, Oct 30, 2005
  8. larwe

    Pooh Bear Guest

    Greek Philosophy ?

    Graham

    Pooh Bear, Oct 30, 2005
  9. I sent my story to the email address. It bounced on the first try,
    but apparently got going the second time. Let me know if you
    don't get it.

    Mark Borgerson

    Mark Borgerson, Oct 30, 2005
  10. larwe

    Joerg Guest

    Hello,
    Most careers go the other way. I have encountered several people where
    it went like this: Analog engineering -> digital -> software -> sales.

    Cool. On my first job I also had my first experience with Marketing. She
    picked apart my design, criticized this, that and the other thing. Now
    we are married for a long time :)

    Regards, Joerg

    http://www.analogconsultants.com

    Joerg, Oct 30, 2005
  11. Yes, but was she right ?
    I suppose that means you shouldn't risk answering the above question... :)

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Oct 30, 2005
  12. larwe

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Jim,
    Mostly yes. It was about the position of controls, their sensitivity,
    ranges. Stuff that we had arbitrarily set and knew that it would need
    fine-tuning.
    Oh, she'd be cool with that. When it comes to the schedules of projects
    on the honey-do list that is a completely different matter.

    Joerg, Oct 30, 2005
  13. Well at least you knew what you were getting yourself into when you
    married her! ;)

    Regards,
    Mark

    Mark McDougall, Oct 30, 2005
  14. larwe

    zwsdotcom Guest

    Hi Mark,
    I didn't get either copy, so I'm going to email you from my gmail
    account and see if that fixes the magic.

    zwsdotcom, Oct 31, 2005
  15. larwe

    larwe Guest

    Whoa, there - I said they had advanced DEGREES, not JOBS in classical
    languages :) My wife had great difficulty getting a job with an english
    language major (art history minor)...

    larwe, Oct 31, 2005
  16. larwe

    Rob Young Guest

    When you say "team/project leader" are you refering to the company or home
    life?

    Rob

    Rob Young, Oct 31, 2005
  17. larwe

    joep Guest

    my boss is a biologist, couldn't find a job anywhere, started in
    embedded software with us through a contractor we normally work with
    (anyone can write software, no?, don't know how she pulled that off), I
    remember her first day, obvious she never programmed in her life, threw
    a couple manuals at her and she caught on very quickly, after 6 months
    she was better then everyone else.

    One big difference I noticed is she's not "married" to any software
    languages or operation systems or tools like most formally educated
    software types unfortunately are. she uses whatever tools are necessary
    for the job without preference which makes her very efficient, its nice
    to not have that baggage

    joep, Oct 31, 2005
  18. The criticism was her practicing to be a wife?

    Everett M. Greene, Oct 31, 2005
  19. larwe

    Joerg Guest

    Hello Everett,

    No, she didn't know that yet at that point ;-)

    She doesn't criticize much, except when the steaks from the barbie
    aren't exactly done "as ordered" or if I made a serious mess somewhere.
    Like in the garage.

    Joerg, Oct 31, 2005
  20. larwe

    larwe Guest

    Hi Bill,
    Thanks, but this one borders on being mainstream :) I'm still collating