Looking for experiences with SUZAKU SZ010/SZ030

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Rob Barris, May 27, 2007.

  1. Rob Barris

    Rob Barris Guest

    Subject says it all - would like to hear from people using the SUZAKU
    modules, how well they work, what toolchain / development hardware you
    use, etc.

    http://www.atmark-techno.com/en/products/suzaku

    Especially interested in learning what the workflow is for iterating on
    a design that has an embedded MicroBlaze, does the inclusion of the
    soft-core CPU add a lot of turnaround time during recompilation of a
    design into a bitstream? Or is that part mostly static and unlikely to
    slow down debugging & iteration.

    And any pointers to appropriate JTAG interfaces for USB2 or Ethernet
    would be appreciated too.

    Rob

    Rob Barris, May 27, 2007

  2. Rob Barris

    Guru Guest

    I was also looking at that boards, but not purchased yet. I like the
    uClinux implementation (japanese are crazy about linux) and VMware
    development tools encapsulation. I would also like to hear a response
    from the users.
    Otherwise for JTAG use Xilinx PlatformCable USB, it is worth 150$.

    Cheers,

    Guru

    Guru, May 29, 2007

  3. Rob Barris

    backhus Guest

    Hi,
    we just bought a Suzaku SZ130.
    One of our students builds a simple power supply and adapter card. As
    soon as he finishes we will make our first real experience with the
    SZ130 Board.
    We are working with ISE & EDK (8.2i) under a debian linux environment.
    We only have an old Parallel Cable III, so we have to provide our
    Adapter card with a a 2.5V Level converter for the Suzaku JTAG.
    Rob already is a member in the Suzaku mailing list. If you want to know
    more about Suzaku and its users, subscribe to that list via the Suzaku
    homepages.

    If you want to use the I/O pins of the Suzakus, you really need the EDK,
    because they are not available as GPIOs in the standard configuration.
    I'm already preparing a design modification for our student, but besides
    that want to build a LPT port later. Anyone has a parport driver for
    microblaze? :)

    best regards
    Eilert

    backhus, May 29, 2007
  4. Rob Barris

    Dave Guest

    I bought an SZ010 board for use in a PVR project, thinking the EDK/Linux
    design would provide a fast development route. In the end this proved
    impractical, simply because uCLinux running on a Microblaze (which maxes out
    at about 52MHz in this case) doesn't provide good enough network
    performance - from memory, an ftp test was clocking in at around 3 mbits/s.

    Unless you're prepared to rip everything up and start again, which is what I
    had to do, you may be better off spending a bit more to get a V-series
    board. These have a hard, 270MHz PPC405 built into the FPGA, which ought to
    help with the performance issues. That said, being forced to design from
    the ground up was certainly a learning experience for all things MAC and
    ethernet related. :)

    On the JTAG side, the cheapest/easiest approach is to get a cheap parallel
    III compatible cable (e.g. the Digilent one) and make an adaptor. There is
    no connector on the board, so you'll be soldering something on there
    whatever you do. Interfacing to the FPGA requires 2.5V, as noted elsewhere,
    but the flash interface is 3.3V, which means you can wire straight up
    without a level conversion.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    ..

    Dave, May 29, 2007
  5. Hi Dave,
    The Suzaku's interface to the off-chip MAC-PHY has no DMA capability,
    which goes a long way to explaining the poor ethernet throughput you
    describe. With the Xilinx EMAC, and DMA, checksum offload and all bells
    and whistles we've hit 50mbit/sec with MicroBlaze / uClinux systems in
    netperf tests.

    Just to put the record straight...

    Regards,

    John

    John Williams, May 29, 2007
  6. Rob Barris

    Dave Guest

    Yes, my reply was overly simplistic and skipped over the middle ground for
    no reason other than it being what I did.

    The main point for the OP is that the Suzaku requires more effort than just
    bolting in application-specific extras. Having not used the EDK before and
    really not requiring Linux for anything other than pinching the network
    stack, I personally found it easier to start from scratch.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    Dave, May 30, 2007
  7. Rob Barris

    Guru Guest

    Hi John,

    That is a very good performance!
    Is it possible that you publish the design on the web to avoid
    building from a scratch?

    cheers,

    Guru

    Guru, May 30, 2007
  8. Rob Barris

    casa2004 Guest

    I have the Suzaku-S Board SZ030_U00 (With Spartan-3-XCS1000, FLASH:8MB
    DRAM:16MB )

    I would like to have your feedbacks about your experiences with that Kin
    of Boards "Suzaku-S".

    my gaol is to control with SZ030 an external Hardware, so i´m plannini
    to send via Ethernet a request(ex: 00011010010101) to VHDL-Code (that
    will Implement in Spartan-3) to make a specified Action...

    the Question is: is there any Documentation that explain how will the fe
    Bytes i will send via Ethernet be transfered to the FPGA-Spartan-3... ?
    how can i control the Information i want to send to the FPGA(spartan-3
    via Ethernet?

    is there any Projekts i can learn from ?
    has anyone worked on a similar projekts..?

    until now i still have many Problems with EDK/XPS. to creat m
    Projekt...?

    i will be pleased to heare about your experiments with that Kind of Board
    and how to build a Projekt for Suzaku-S Boards with EDK-Tool.?

    many thanks
    Eddy

    casa2004, Oct 16, 2007