    By Cooley and Tukey, 1965.

    Anyone know if it can be downloaded. I searched
    for about 30 minutes and couldn't find it.

    Jim Stewart, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Jim Stewart

    Jim Stewart Guest

    Thank you very much. Do you know if they also
    published an IEEE paper that was a little easier
    to understand? I recall borrowing something like
    that years ago.

    Jim Stewart, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Jim Stewart

    John Atwood Guest

    http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~itiq/chiu/cooley/

    And I found a good, non-technical overview of why FFT is so
    important:
    http://www.siam.org/siamnews/mtc/mtc593.htm

    And this:
    The advent of this discovery began at a meeting of the
    President's Scientific Advisory Committee. Richard L. Garwin,
    who was in desperate need of a fast means to compute Fourier
    transforms for his research with helium, noted that Tukey was
    writing Fourier Transforms and asked him to outline his
    techniques. Garwin then went to the computing center at IBM
    Research to have it programmed. Cooley, a relatively new member
    of the staff , was given the problem because to his own
    admission "had nothing important to do"[13] and quickly worked
    it out. Thinking he would hear no more about it, Cooley "went
    back to doing some real work"[13]. This was obviously not the
    case since Garwin foresaw a wide range of applications and
    widely publicized the results. The rest is history--or rather
    a bit of theory and applications.
    http://me.oregonstate.edu/classes/me452/winter95/ButlerKeithMurphy/insth.html#A1.22

    John

    John Atwood, Jan 15, 2004