    bargain?

    Thanks kindly,

    Aly

    techie_alison, Apr 4, 2006

  2. Why not ask Rhode and Schwarz for a manual or alike ?

    Rene

    Rene Tschaggelar, Apr 4, 2006

  3. £370 + delivery + VAT.. Bit of IBM philosophy going on there in that they
    still sell IBM XT motherboards for about £1000+ list price.

    £150 + delivery + VAT from a 2nd hand place here in the UK.

    At those kinds of prices may as well count my losses and buy a fully specced
    HP/Aglilent with full manuals, about £200-£350 on eBay.

    The R&S was only £30. Wondering if I've bought a lemon.

    techie_alison, Apr 4, 2006
  4. I doubt. If it works, then it may not be the fastest.
    There won't be 500 MSamples and such.

    Rene

    Rene Tschaggelar, Apr 4, 2006
  5. techie_alison

    Periproct Guest

    To quote from another poster a while back......

    "Speaking of manuals, I made an interesting discovery the other day. I
    was looking for a manual for a piece of equipment I have. The website
    of the company for the equipment no longer had the manual on their
    website, but they used to have it there. I was able to find the
    manual on archived copies of their website at the WayBackMachine.
    http://www.archive.org/web/web.php "

    I think you need to know the URL of the deceased website which may be a
    problem.

    Periproct, Apr 4, 2006
  6. Brilliant!! :) Checking this out now.. thanks :)

    techie_alison, Apr 4, 2006
  7. techie_alison

    cbarn24050 Guest

    The people you got it from usually charge way above normal prices so
    there is likely to be a good reason why you got a "bargain".

    cbarn24050, Apr 4, 2006
  8. Awwww, that was my birthday money :(

    They have been trying to sell it for a while though, had seen it come up in
    the listings before, was close to $200 then. Will see what happens in the
    next few days else will then be looking out for an HP 16500B mainframe and
    16510B card or similar.

    All I know is that I need one, to turn the weeks of trial and error into
    days. Reverse engineering the Atari ACSI protocol at the moment, kind of a
    SCSI hybrid but with added twists. Designed in the days before SCSI was an
    industry standard, early 80's.

    techie_alison, Apr 4, 2006
  9. It's here!! Certainly has to be seen to be believed, it's about a 19" 4U.
    100Mhz 8 channel, 20Mhz 32 channel. Also looks like it has a 100Mhz
    function generator in there too. 3.5" Floppy disk drive, runs on CPM/86.
    20 way IDC connectors on the front.

    techie_alison, Apr 5, 2006
  10. techie_alison

    Zak Guest

    I remember that one. Atari obviously made drives, but another company
    (was it ICP? I'm sure they were German) made one as well. I had one, but
    the drive had stiction, and I sold it quickly.

    I think the Atari drive (teh original narrow box, not the Mega ST flat
    box) used a Seagate drive and a Seagate controlle rpiggy-backed. Another
    board (smaller) did the conversion from ACSI to SCSI.

    Thomas

    Zak, Apr 6, 2006
  11. Hi Thomas,

    Yep, you know it :) There's a bit of revived enthusiasm out there for the
    Atari's. The trouble I'm finding with the ACSI standard is that most of the
    technical information out there is from the programmers point of view with
    little referring to the hardware implementation as far as timings go.

    Have started a transparant IDE interface for the ST which plugs into the
    ACSI port, as far as the ST knows it's connected to a vanilla ST drive. The
    IDE/CF coding has been completed for some months with the ACSI side dragging
    on. I'd thought I could do it by trial and error but that ain't happnin :)
    Hence the logic analyser.

    The LA has the following options; 20Mhz digital storage scope, 100Mhz 8
    channel LA, 20Mhz 48 channel LA, CP/M 86. Aside from that just getting
    round to figuring out the pin assignments of the ports atm. Would love a
    CP/M boot disk so I could load/save samples. It might even print out to
    something like an EPSON FX-80 at 4800 or somethng. :)

    Aly :)

    techie_alison, Apr 7, 2006
  12. techie_alison

    Zak Guest

    How did you find out the basics? The little documentation that was
    there, or looking at old hardware?

    The latter is why I mentioned the third-party drive - it maight be
    easier to dissect or give another viewpoint on the thing.
    Good luck!

    Thomas

    Zak, Apr 7, 2006
  13. Hiya Thomas :)

    Trawled and trawled the web before starting the project, also have the few
    odd books, ST Drives Inside and Out, being one of them. So much of the
    information is from the ST DMA programming side, very little to do with
    signal rise and fall times, there's not too much out there relating to the
    hardware side.
    Have you seen how much they cost!! :) These old clapped out drives
    regularly go for £50 to £100 on eBay, with the SCSI host adapters alone
    commanding similar figures. The plan here is to jump on the bandwagon and
    design a new one in full (100's units) production. Did the PS2 PeST mouse
    interface and sold about 100 of those last year, about to get another 180
    PCBs in to throw out another batch to the four corners. There's money to be
    made with this old kit, most employers/people just brush it aside as
    ridiculous and playing with toys. That may be why I'm making a small
    regular income and they're not, it's beneath them to the point that they
    engage in neverending projects and goals :)
    Thanks, I'm happy :) Do you still have any ST kit?

    techie_alison, Apr 10, 2006
  14. techie_alison

    Zak Guest

    That was indeed very sparse. I remember seeing some problems with teh
    DMA bus - it was a bit fiddly (but that could have been the round
    cabling and the big DIN plug with too few ground pins...)
    No, I gave it away a long time ago. I did repair it for a living as
    well. Got some official (quite informal) training as well.

    It brings back nice memories. The first time Mac OS booted on it :)

    I see it is probably kept alive by MIDI - is that correct?

    Thomas

    Zak, Apr 12, 2006
  15. techie_alison

    Simon Scott Guest

    Zak wrote:

    I have an Atari 520ST sitting here for anyone who wants it. Im a c64/amiga
    man myself.

    Im in Western Australia though.... :)

    Simon Scott, Apr 15, 2006
  16. techie_alison

    mcdj

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Germany, Rhine-Main-Area
    R&s Las

    Hi Aly,

    >Hi there,

    >Just bought one of these to further my dev work;
    >http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7605129050

    Unfortunately there is actual no picture available, but it sounds that you have bought a LAS which is about 20 years old. When i am right i own a complete machine with several extensions and also service manuals with schematics.
    Some of the material is available only in german language but the important things are also available in english.

    > So far I've searched but haven't found out any real information on what I
    > have bought, would anyone be able to shed some light on it's spec and the
    > various options included? Has anyone owned or used one of these?

    I had real luck about 13 years ago i got one for about 15 $, otherwise the machine was dedicated to be trashed.

    > Really just looking for any info at all before it arrives in the next few
    > days. An engineer friend speaks very highly of R&S so hopefully I found a
    > bargain?

    R&S devices are known to be very robust an reliable.

    The complete documentation consist of five ring binders with several sections.

    What kind of information are you looking for?

    Did you also got floppy disks with software??

    mcdj, Sep 12, 2006