    already have a desktop.

    So, where and what should I be looking at?

    Thanks!

    Von Fourche, Nov 26, 2006

  2. Von Fourche

    S.Lewis Guest

    Browse here. It's a decent start:
    http://www.dealcatcher.com/dell-sb-coupons

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 26, 2006

  3. Von Fourche

    Jay B Guest

    if i were you, i'd get a core 2 at the minimum sale price offered, and
    that would be in the $600's. then you can always add memory later if
    you need. it doesnt pay to get anything less than that to save $50-$100.

    Jay B, Nov 26, 2006
  4. Von Fourche

    RnR Guest

    Maybe, maybe not. I have two core 2 duos with 1 gig ram and an older
    pentium M laptop with 512 megs ram, all running XP. I can't see much
    difference in speed for tasks such as the OP suggests he will be
    doing. That said, I SUPPOSE the difference will be when NOT doing
    those things like video editing, gaming or running Vista ????

    I might suggest the OP go for a core duo first or core 2 duo next just
    in case he wants Vista later with either. BTW, I got my first core 2
    duo laptop with 512 megs ram (I since increased it) and WXGA screen
    under $600 in the outlet store (refurb but looks new to me). And if
    it matters, 512 megs ram with XP and ordinary tasks seem to be just as
    good as 1 gig ram so he needn't rush out and get more ram unless he
    has something else in mind (like running Vista later).

    And as for screens, I have WXGA and WXGA plus and I think MOST will
    NOT like the plus. I didn't for the first day but now I like it. The
    screen does reflect a lot (bad if you are near an open window during
    the day or a brightly lit room) and the icons/print is SMALL. I think
    the difference is when you watch a movie or look at photos, it will
    look much better but for ordinary work tasks, maybe not the way to
    go??? My brotherinlaw saw the WXGA plus once and I could tell he was
    NOT impressed that much.

    RnR, Nov 26, 2006
  5. This is going to be highly subjective, but the best choice that has
    frequently and often available in the US at that price (specifically at
    $599) has been variants of the Toshiba M115. Every major retailer (Best
    Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, CompUSA, Staples) has offered this
    within the past six weeks at $599 with, typically, an Intel Core Duo
    CPU, 512MB of memory, 80 gig hard drive, DVD burner. In a few cases,
    the offers have had 1GB of memory and/or larger hard drives at the same
    price. In some cases, rebates were involved, but not in all cases. In
    some cases, additional products were available with the purchase "free
    after rebate" (typically these are printers or "all-in-one" MFP
    printers, wireless routers, etc.). While the matter of who is offering
    this, and exactly what they are offering, varies week-by-week, I did see
    someone offering it this week. Also, it comes with XP Media Center,
    which gets you a free upgrade to Vista Premium next year.

    You can probably find a Dell 1405 in this price range also, and the 1505
    has been just above it a few times although currently it starts at $699.
    I suspect you will have a chance at a $599 E1505 before Christmas, but
    the best 1505 deals involve higher end configurations at somewhat higher
    prices.

    There are lots of Compaq products being sold well below $600 (like $399
    and up), but they usually have significantly inferior processors (Intel
    Celerons or equivalent AMD processors) and other lower end configurations.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2006
  6. There is very little difference (single digit percentages) between the
    Core 2 Duo and the mobile version of the Core Duo (from which Core 2 Duo
    was derived). However, I've seen very few Core 2 Duo laptops being
    offered below the $750, and that only this past weekend (Black Friday).
    More commonly, Core 2 Duo is going to push you up to the $900 price
    range, which is well above his target price.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2006
  7. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    Could you back that up with a link supporting your position? I don't
    believe it to be true.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2006
  8. Von Fourche

    RnR Guest

    Maybe but not true in my case. I got 2 of them (E1405's; one of them
    is very well equipped) for a LOT less than that in the outlet store.
    If it matters tho, both are refurbs tho they look new to me.

    That said, if you never plan to run Vista or do unusual tasks, the
    pentium M (centrino) will be fine if you can still find them. I have
    a 600m I'm still VERY fond of.

    RnR, Nov 27, 2006
  9. Von Fourche

    RnR Guest

    I don't know for sure if it's right or wrong but one of the places I'd
    check if I had to know is Tom's Hardware but I think you may know this
    already. I may have to outa curiousity confirm what was said tho
    it's a little late for me since I went with the core 2 duos.

    One thing tho I may dispute with both of you is for real world useage,
    benchmarks are deceiving. I wouldn't use them as my only criteria
    since to be honest with "usual" everyday tasks, you won't SEE much
    difference between my core 2 duo's and my 600m laptop. I will NOT
    argue that the core 2 duo is faster but I don't think you can really
    see it unless you "tax" it with heavy programs or multitask it a LOT.

    RnR, Nov 27, 2006
  10. There have been quite a few benchmarks comparing them, and that's the
    source of my information, but I don't have a link.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2006
  11. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    Oh I understand that. I know about Tom's too and that's where I would have
    gone. I'm curious about HIS source.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2006
  12. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    Love to see a specific example.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2006
  13. Von Fourche

    S.Lewis Guest

    This is for MacBook Pros, but it is benchmarking. Didn't work hard to find
    more:
    http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd6.html

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 27, 2006
  14. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    Here's a good article:

    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=288&type=expert&pid=5

    At the same clock speed, it looks like raw horsepower is roughly 30% higher
    with the Core2. I realize that for many applications it won't matter, but
    that's hardly insignificant, particularly since the Core 2 offers better
    battery life.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2006
  15. Not the source of my original comment, but there is a comparison at XBit
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/web/display/20060807233613.html

    The article subtitle says "Intel’s Merom Outperforms Yonah by 15%"
    [Merom is Core 2 Dou, Yonah is Core Duo]

    But, in the setup description:

    "AnandTech has compared the newly released Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 to
    Intel Core Duo T2600 microprocessor. Both CPUs run at 2.33GHz frequency
    and are equipped with 4MB and 2MB of L2 cache, respectively."

    That I take some issue with ... they went high-end, where the Core 2 Duo
    has a 4MB cache, while the Core Duo only has a 2MB cache. Most laptops
    with Core 2 Duo, however, have the T5xxx series parts, which also have
    [only] 2MB of cache. In selecting the T7600 vs the T2600, I think that
    they gave an advantage to the Core 2 Duo, which I think somewhat
    inflated their 15% conclusion. Of course, as I think we all agree,
    benchmarks can be constructed to produce almost any desired result. I
    don't disagree with what they did except for choosing processors that
    had a 2:1 difference in cache size. But if, from that, they concluded
    that the Core 2 Duo was 15% faster, then I'd argue that 15% is probably
    high for the more typical laptops with T2050 to T2300 Core Duo's and
    T5xxx Core 2 Duo's. And, of course, you have to compare processors
    running at the same clock speed (which they did).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2006
  16. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    Barry,

    You really need to be more careful. You are REALLY pissing me off.

    You emailed me this privately.

    Again.

    LEARN TO USE YOUR NEWSREADER

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2006
  17. It's not a question of "learning to use my newsreader". I'm no
    "newbie", and I have consciously and intentionally been using "Reply
    all" for a decade. Ok, I'm actually making an effort to change that.
    But I'm still going to hit "reply all" at times without noticing it.
    And I'm not going to lose any sleep over it when it happens [nor am I
    going to lose any sleep over the fact that you are pissed off, although
    I'm not doing it for the purpose of pissing you off]. If you don't want
    relies to newsgroup posts, put a dummy E-Mail return address in your
    news reader client and you won't get any. Or put me in your "junk mail"
    filter. I certainly won't lose sleep over the fact that you don't get
    my E-Mails.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2006
  18. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    You have to be the single most inconsiderate person I have ever met on
    Usenet.

    You're not going to worry because you've been doing it wrong for years. You
    don't have to change, I do, because you're to stupid to do it right.

    Why in the HELL should I have to change my email address because you're a
    FUCKING IDIOT.

    Tom Scales, Nov 27, 2006
  19. Von Fourche

    RnR Guest

    Come on Barry, I think you should now know how to solve this problem.
    Please cooperate. Why upset anyone when it appears you aren't doing
    it intentionally?

    Study your help section or the screen carefully. I think a EE should
    be able to solve this. I think I'm qualified to say this since I have
    a CE degree.

    RnR, Nov 27, 2006
  20. I never said you had to change anything.

    But if you don't want to receive replies, and beyond replies, if you
    don't want your E-Mail address to be harvested for spam, then why would
    you not take a step that would prevent it from working without human
    intervention? I never suggested changing your E-Mail address, only the
    address that your newsreader client displays. My E-Mail address shows
    up as "". It's invalid, of course, and any
    automatic use of it (by a spam harvester or anyone hitting "reply all")
    won't come through, but it's also easy enough for a real person to see
    how to contact me if they want to.

    As for rude, funny, I feel the same way about you as you apparently do
    about me.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 27, 2006