Looking for Laptop around $600.00

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Von Fourche, Nov 26, 2006.

  1. Yes, it's a good value at that price. I'm not saying it's "spectacular"
    or that you can't do better (with a lot of shopping and, most
    importantly, a lot of patience), but it's an Intel Core Duo CPU with (in
    most of the configurations offered) a DVD burner, reasonable memory
    (usually 512MB, sometimes a gigabyte) and a reasonable hard drive
    (usually 80GB, sometimes 100 or 120) for $599, and sometimes with other
    things thrown in (such as a printer or wireless router or software).
    It's a better than average deal, and certainly a better laptop than some
    of the junk that's being sold now for $399 and $499, with Celeron class
    processors and "combo" optical drives that will read DVDs but won't burn
    them. Also, I'm pretty sure (but not absolutely certain) that the M115
    can support Vista "Aero Glass" (in Vista Home Premium), which some
    (many, actually) of the low cost laptops can't (note, I think it will
    support it, but only after you increase the memory to a gigabyte if it
    comes with less).

    Also note that Toshiba (and also Dell) have been supplying Windows XP
    Media Center (MCE) instead of Windows XP Home in some of their laptops
    (including most configurations of this model, the M115). That's really
    significant, because not only is MCE quite a lot better than XP Home,
    but with XP Home you have to pay about $40 to $60 for an upgrade to the
    crappy Vista Home Basic, while with MCE, you get the dramatically better
    Vista Home Premium free (in both cases, a shipping charge (typically $10
    to $15) may also apply). Between the differences in XP Home vs. MCE and
    the differences in Vista Home Basic vs. Vista Home Premium, plus the
    fact that you have to pay for the Home Basic upgrade while the Home
    Premium upgrade is free, the difference in the Operating System may by
    itself be worth close to $200.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Von Fourche

    Irene Guest

    Let's see now. Your calling him a "XXXXING IDIOT" was what then? It sure
    looks insulting to me, but then possibly you wouldn't feel insulted if some
    one called you the same thing. I don't think so.

    The way you worded this, it was ridicule, pure and simple.
    Those quotation marks are yours, not mine and that Tom, makes the comment,
    by any standard ridicule.

    And no, Tom, I wouldn't be upset at the "Dellbot" if one of the "Dellbot"
    group emailed me privately, because it would have been my own fault for
    posting my email address to a Usenet news group(particularly this one). I
    would be very upset at my self, and rightly so

    The best way for you put this topic to rest is to stop making excuses for
    yourself and others who insult, ridicule and swear in posts to this group.

    Irene, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Von Fourche

    RnR Guest

    How long are we going to drag this topic out?

    Personally Irene I agree with you about the use of profanity (tho I
    doubt the next generation does). However if I recall Tom did
    apologize earlier and admit it was due to frustration. I don't know
    if I would have used the same language but I would definitely have
    gotten close to it when faced with the same idiotic excuses.

    And no offense Tom but I think NOW is a good time to start using a
    FAKE email address in your newgroup postings.

    Life is too short now... lets move on to the next topic.

    RnR, Nov 29, 2006
  4. Von Fourche

    Irene Guest

    Some how, based on your posts, I doubt that you would post the kind of
    profanity as that used by Tom, and others in this group. Enough said on
    that.

    Couldn't agree with you more regarding your other points.

    Did you read my comment to Tom on how to best accomplish moving on?

    Regarding your last point, I am considerably less than computer
    knowledgeable, but I did learn very early on(the hard way, by getting
    flooded with spam) that one MUST use a "FAKE" email address when posting to
    newsgroups. It is sad that one must do that or face the consequences, but it
    is none the less a necessity.

    Irene

    Irene, Nov 29, 2006
  5. Von Fourche

    RnR Guest

    Thank you.

    No, is it in this thread or another post?

    RnR, Dec 1, 2006
  6. Von Fourche

    journey Guest

    Please clean up your language.

    journey, Dec 1, 2006
  7. Von Fourche

    journey Guest

    You really should deal with this off-group. Also, there is the delete
    key if you get unwanted e-mail which is a simple solution.

    journey, Dec 1, 2006
  8. Von Fourche

    journey Guest

    Ah yes -- but flame wars are a tradition on Usenet, and for the people
    that didn't get their angst out while they were teens, this is another
    chance to relive that. :)

    journey, Dec 1, 2006
  9. Von Fourche

    Irene Guest

    This thread. My reader shows a date time of 11/28 and
    7:00 PM

    Here is the "meat" of it:

    Irene, Dec 1, 2006
  10. Von Fourche

    journey Guest

    Amen !

    journey, Dec 1, 2006
  11. Von Fourche

    Notan Guest

    Journey -

    With all due respect, I suggest you go back on your meds.

    Seriously.

    Notan

    Notan, Dec 1, 2006
  12. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    Journey,

    It's not your place to give me direction. You have no clue what happened or
    why I did this. I don't appreciate your interfering. As far as I am
    concerned, the newsgroup was a better place without you.

    Tom Scales, Dec 1, 2006
  13. Von Fourche

    Notan Guest

    Some of these people are just like the Christian Evangelicals... Placing
    themselves where they're not wanted, trying to instill their own values
    on everyone else.

    To those who are offended by foul language, I suggest you go elsewhere.

    And to help you get there, **** **** ****.

    Notan

    Notan, Dec 1, 2006
  14. Von Fourche

    journey Guest

    LOL you crack me up. You should take responsibility for your vulgar
    language, and for creating a flame-war thread. Tsk Tsk Tsk...

    journey, Dec 1, 2006
  15. Von Fourche

    journey Guest

    P.S. -- "TOM -- get a grip" (isn't it ironic...)

    journey, Dec 1, 2006
  16. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    I've brought more to this newsgroup than you, Irene and Barry ever will
    combined.

    Your lengthy posts about what computers you've bought and returned got old.

    Tom Scales, Dec 1, 2006
  17. Von Fourche

    RnR Guest

    Ok, got it. Thanks for finding it for me.

    Regards...

    RnR, Dec 1, 2006
  18. Not quite - with all due respect, your demand that people not curse is
    censorship, no more & no less. It would be nice if no one ever said
    anything which irked other posters, but that's not a realistic real
    world possibility. I vote against censorship. AFAIK I haven't cursed in
    this NG, but other people are certainly free to express themselves and I
    reserve the right to curse if sufficiently provoked.

    Sparky Spartacus, Dec 1, 2006
  19. Von Fourche

    Irene Guest

    If you hang around this group long enough, you will find that Tom and his
    ilk take responsible for very little that they do or cause. That is unless
    you have already figured it out. >g<

    Irene, Dec 2, 2006
  20. Von Fourche

    Irene Guest

    "Demand"

    Please show me where I "Demand"ed anything.

    Requested, asked for, encouraged, wished for, all yes.

    Demanded or even expected. Not hardly.

    Irene, Dec 2, 2006